View Full Version : Cor!

Hands0n
4th February 2008, 07:46 PM
Well, it had to be done :D Memory arrived with Mrs from work 19:35. Memory installed to Mac Pro 19:47. Marvelous :cool:

Ben
4th February 2008, 08:56 PM
Congratulations! I'm a little peeved that you now have more RAM in that thing than my box which serves a whole office, but there you go :D

Where did you get the RAM from? Any memory errors?

Hands0n
4th February 2008, 09:05 PM
...... I'm a little peeved that you now have more RAM in that thing than my box which serves a whole office, but there you go :D

Where did you get the RAM from? Any memory errors?

LOL, I know, mad isn't it!! I recall that when I did a job for a firm up in London last year (March 07) they had a brand new SBS server installation running 20 staff, a SQL Server + databases and M$ CRM in 4GB RAM, two Xeon dual core and 250GB HDD. I had just bought the Mac Pro with 3GB RAM, 750GB HDD and twin Xeon dual core just for li'l ole me :D

I got the RAM (FBDIMM) from Crucial which is certified for the Mac Pro with a lifetime warranty. Memory errors? What are they then :eek: I don't think that I have yet had a dodgy bit of memory from Crucial. I honestly can swear by them.

What is really crazy, this 2GB upgrade cost me £98.69 delivered. When I bought my first 2GB upgrade it was £185 - now the cost of their 4GB upgrade (which I nearly went for!!). When the 4GB hits the
Why? Because I can :p

NB: Just take a look at that Swapfile. Luverly

Ben
4th February 2008, 11:38 PM
I'll try Crucial out some time. My Mac Pro rarely ventures in to swap space, but demand is growing and I certainly would never pay Apple prices for RAM again.

Hands0n
5th February 2008, 12:00 AM
I am sure you won't be disappointed with Crucial - Apple don't manufacture memory, Crucial do and, as far as I can tell, are one of the manufacturers that Apple use and brand their own!

A useful link is this one here (http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Mac+Pro+%284%2Dcore%29) which will take you directly to the Crucial page for the Mac Pro FBDIMMs. These are for the "Apple Mac Pro (4-core) Desktop/PC". Yea right, I'd like to see them pop a Mac Pro on the top of a desk :p (actually we have about 10 of the things at work standing on a desk, but they don't look right up there).

Ben
5th February 2008, 11:42 AM
Indeed, Apple RAM is sometimes Hynix and I think I've also heard Samsung? Anyway, what I've got performs brilliantly, but a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then and, with the machine having been out for so long now, I can't imagine Crucial would have gotten it wrong. Plus the price difference is far more striking now than it was!