View Full Version : Turning a Nokia phone into a hotspot

Ben
6th February 2008, 11:48 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/06/joikuspot/

Software to enable WiFi sharing on S60 has finally emerged, though it's in its infancy.

A new piece of freeware can turn a Symbian S60 handset into a Wi-Fi hotspot, removing the need to muck about with Bluetooth connections to get connected when on the move. Just don't tell your service provider.

JoikuSpot installs on a S60 handset with Wi-Fi and, when activated, turns that handset into a hotspot for any, and all, local devices. This first version of the application is being distributed free in the hope of encouraging people with unlimited data plans to share their connection wherever they go.

The application works as advertised, and we were able to get a laptop and iPod Touch connected easily enough, though only HTTP and HTTPS are supported and there's no security at all - you'll want to be very sure your tariff really is unlimited.

With so many devices having Wi-Fi these days the ability to share a 3G connection makes sense, though whether we'd want to share that connection with all and sundry is more debatable. Windows Mobile devices recently gained the same capability with their WMWifiRouter application (also free).

Many of the data tariffs specifically exclude access from a laptop or other device, and the operators will be most annoyed if you ignore their terms and conditions by connecting your own laptop over their network, let alone the laptops of everyone within 100 metres.

Get free Talk3G text alerts! (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4874)

gorilla
6th February 2008, 11:56 AM
Not sure I like the idea of other people using my mobile data allowance, but would be cool for allowing the PSP or itouch etc to access my 3g data connection.

In any case I would not be using wifi for long as the battery on the N95 would be drained in a couple of hours!

I got the Talk3g text alert, did you?

Ben
6th February 2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd use this app either, especially as it's unsecured. However, if, say, I had an iPod Touch (lets imagine the SDK has been released and I've got the 32GB monster full of powerful programs) then it'd be cool to be able to throw up an encrypted WiFi Access Point so it can hook up to the net wherever I go, along with things like a NintendoDS and, as you quite rightly say, a PSP. Hell, it might even be a good companion for a Macbook Air.

Still, that's a long way off yet - and as you say, even if they do sort out the encryption, I bet the battery life would be terrible. I'd love to have a WAP in my pocket, though, so I could get a whole bunch of devices online at any time should I need to.

gorilla
6th February 2008, 12:09 PM
I agree, the concept is sound. How many 'normal' people scan for networks at random times? I know I only do it rarely e.g. at airports so the chance of someone piggy backing your mobile data connection should be slim. And anyway, you could always stare someone out!

Hands0n
6th February 2008, 10:18 PM
I read this and though "Cor!"

Then I read the website, the specs, what it actually does, and the lack of security and I'm in no way inclined at all to give this a try! Its not entirely surprising that there is no security - perhaps WPA is too hard to do. I'm just left stone dead cold to this given its current state of the art. Stay away in droves people!

miffed
7th February 2008, 07:01 AM
I have been using the WM5 equivilent of this for a while now - very handy IMO & and enabled me so have HSDPA speeds on my iPhone , does take it's toll on battery life though !
Wasn't really that bothered about security - I only ever switched it on as and when I needed it (i.e. for a few minutes at a time) - and it only created an adhoc network , so I thought no other computers could connect ? (not clued up on such stuff TBH ! )
I'd probably give it a go - but I wouldn't use it much now TBH ,the EEE pc / Macbook now have their own HSDPA connection by way of their E220 , and the iPhone gets by fine on a 2.5g connection IMO

About 5 months ago , this would have been handy , but now it is a bit surplas for me personally

miffed
8th February 2008, 04:24 PM
Curiosity just got the better of me (helped along by Three's pathetic 3G speeds :( )
urgh ! what a horrible app !

all seems to go well , you connect to your new 'hotspot' - open the browser , then wait, and wait , and wait - then I notice that firefox is not headed for my homepage , it is seemingly looking for a site made by the company that sells the software - which turns out to be there own "google search" page - but typing anything into it just results in a long wait :confused: .....and tying anything into firefoxes address bar , or trying to use my own bookmarks results in a redirect back to their useless search page !
I thought that maybe my connection was at fault - so picked up the e90 and started browsing - all nice and quick , 900kbps + ... so at that point I gave up
No points from miffed :mad: