View Full Version : P2P on your mobile?

@NickyColman
7th May 2005, 01:41 PM
I have often thought about what apps. would work on 3G networks and with the recent announcement of nokias n91 handset i think a P2P application would be great! eg kazaa, limewire, napster etc... where people could download songs or other material on their handset...

What do people think?!

Ben
7th May 2005, 02:29 PM
I've thought about this often, and if a decent simple application could be made then it could be fantastic - especially for symbian apps and alike.

However, the one thng holding it back is upstream bandwidth IMHO. Even if data prices fell considerably, there's just *no upstream* on handsets that's usable for reasonable sized data transfers. So, you'd basically be starting a whole bulk of P2P leeches. Also, if uploading data to the P2P network from handsets as well as downloading was to be an objective, there would be the problem of needing the application to run in the background. This will need more powerful smartphones than the ones we have today - my Nokia can multitask alright, but having something using the up and downstreams quite intensively in the background would probably slow things down a lot.

I certainly wish Napster would extent their legal service to mobile phones. I know it's not strictly P2P, but it'd mean there was an independent source for music track downloads. Then I wouldn't have to fork out for Orange's over-priced dire-quality tracks.

I do think that P2P will arrive on mobiles some day, in some form or another.

@NickyColman
7th May 2005, 02:34 PM
Yeah i suppose your right, it would take some killer handsets out there! Hopefully technology wont take long to catch up!!

Hands0n
8th May 2005, 07:17 PM
Battery life is going to be the big spoiler to this and many other fabulous ideas. I want to see the Video capabilities explored and expanded too. How about "Home Security" for example.

P2P would be really neat also if it was completely unfettered (in the strictest legal sense) inasmuch as the mobile ops would not be party to it other than providing the bandwidth, which of course they'd charge for.