View Full Version : 2g/3g/Dual mode on 6680 ?

freegee
7th May 2005, 06:11 PM
Hello all............Could anybody please inform me if it is possible to manually change from 3g to 2g and will it stay there until manually changed back to dual mode. This is of interest to me as when I"m in a very low 3g signal area, the constant 2g/3g yoyo can be a real battery drainer. Got an 8150 but hoping to get a 6680 next week if it the answer to above is yes...............Thanks for any replies............Stay Lucky :)

Ben
7th May 2005, 06:19 PM
Hey :)

On the non-branded handset you can indeed select GSM Only mode. The phone will reboot and act exactly like any 2G phone would until you put it back to dual mode. I don't see why it would be in Orange's interest to remove this feature, but I know Three have - so it's a possibility I'm afraid.

In any case, you can use the Field Test software application to lock a Series 60 handset onto GSM.

See the following site for more information and the download: http://www.symbian-freak.com/quides/netmon.htm

There's lots of other scary stuff in the Field Test application, so be careful!

3g-g
7th May 2005, 06:27 PM
On my 6650 you have the option to lock onto 2g or 3g, at least on Orange you'd still be on their network either way, that's probably why 3 have removed that feature.

On the netmon SW... If anyone's interested in what any of it means give me a shout and I'll explain. It's all quite interesting if you're a bit geeky! ;)

Ben
7th May 2005, 06:33 PM
It so totally is, I was literally dribbling over some of the stats! So it has come to this... ;)

Encouraging wrt your 6650 handset, though I assume that was a staff-only offering. Did Orange even customise the software? I hella hope not! But indeed, there really is no reason why Orange would want to restrict you to the 3G network, so I'm hopeful. I'm still in two minds as to whether I order an Orange branded 6680 myself. Can I really pass on the prospect of two 3G phones? I really don't think I'm strong enough to resist it. Kylie would be so disappointed in me!

freegee
8th May 2005, 06:36 AM
Thanks for answers which will have me heading downtown to get one when available. Have to admit though had a 8150 since mid december and really starting to grow on me. Smashing little phone. Does the 2g/3/ lock bit so really dont want to lose this on an upgrade. .........Cheers :p

bsrjl1
8th May 2005, 10:59 AM
The 6650 I had wasn't customised at all, but not sure about the ones the trial customers got - perhaps an Orange logo or two? Basically the same software as the 7600. It's a shame they didn't keep developing Series 45 for WCDMA as not everyone wants the complexities of a smartphone, and it was quick!