View Full Version : Google Releases Native Search client for S60

gorilla
27th February 2008, 03:12 PM
Don't think this has been mentioned here, but Nokia and Google have teamed up (significant?) and made a native search client (http://mobile.google.com/) for S60. Should really point out that to get the download, navigate here in the S60 browser and download mobile search http://mobile.google.com/
I've got it on my N95 now and well, mixed reaction. It places a handy search box on the homescreen, but do I really need it?

has anyone else tried it?

whatleydude
1st March 2008, 03:07 PM
I've got it.

Just like how it looks on my extremely active desktop.

:D

Hands0n
1st March 2008, 05:20 PM
I've just installed it on my N95 Classic and it is a lot less bother than having to launch the browser first etc. It actually works quite well. Google must be pretty certain of mobile data costs coming down. They are putting quite some effort into getting onto mobile handsets.

Edit: After downloading and installing the Google Search client I was prompted to get the YouTube (Beta) client for S60. It is really quite good and I can recommend it to anyone who likes You Tube. Make sure you have a reasonable data tariff on the go though, I can imagine that You Tube could consume quite a bit over time.

@NickyColman
2nd March 2008, 12:43 PM
Just installed it on my N95 8GB and i think its a great app! It makes getting to search results that one step easier!

EDIT; By the way, has anyone actually managed to get the YouTube application working correctly? I've downloaded and installed it fine, i can search and see videos but when it comes to actually streaming them to my handset it displays the error "could not connect to streaming server".

There are no options anywhere to change the connection settings, just the option of what to connect to on the initial start up.

Any thoughts?

EDIT PART 2; I've actually solved the streaming video issue. Real Player (on Nokia S60) needs to be set to the same sever as the one your connecting to the internet on or else it wont work. The two seperate apps must work together to stream the video! Now im happy. :D