View Full Version : How 3 UK blew £10bn in five years

3GScottishUser
3rd March 2008, 12:42 PM
As it marks its fifth anniversary, Dominic White looks back at the network's troubled birth and wonders how it can turn itself around

When Li Ka-shing, Asia's richest man, arrived in Britain ahead of the launch of his mobile phone network, 3UK, five years ago, the company's engineers were asked to put in some unscheduled overtime. The quick-fire installation of temporary base stations along the routes taken by the Hutchison Whampoa chairman - from airport to hotel, and hotel to office - to hide the gaping holes in 3UK's embryonic network ensured a decent signal.

A huge article from the Telegraph that deserves some attention by those who have followed the progress of this company. Too much to post in it's entirity but it's available at the link below.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/03/02/cchutch102.xml

Comments?

miffed
3rd March 2008, 01:07 PM
ooo -eer ! I feel bit sick there going around in circles !! :(

Did anyone proof read that article I wonder ?

Nice summary ! I like the story about temporary cells you quoted - I can just imagine Li Ka-shing in the back of his limo , trying to get his e606 to work :D

Ben
3rd March 2008, 03:13 PM
Lol, the article repeats twice - someone needs to fire the Telegraph's online editor :D

Interesting article. Yes, perhaps the future is finally bright for Three. The network share agreement with T-Mobile certainly lends it more credibility... but what a shame that the 2G outsourcing is with Orange. *Messy*.

Perhaps the investment will pay off? I'm not sure. I think the provision of 3G Broadband is the fastest, if not only, area of major growth in the UK at the moment so perhaps 3UK can use this to their advantage. They're certainly trying. Unfortunately their offering lacks any innovative features :(

Hands0n
3rd March 2008, 11:33 PM
Will have to read the article when there are more hours left in the day!

That stunt with the temporary masts is mirrored in every industry. The Chairman and his cohorts flounce around the planet thinking all is right with the world. Meanwhile impossible feats of deception are being performed to keep them sweet. A true case of The Emperors Clothes.

Returning back from LaLaLand, one can find us mere mortals struggling to do something as simple as make a phone call or send a text message.

Come the revolution there'll be heads on pikes on London Bridge, I tell ya. :)