View Full Version : Intel Details Atom Processor For MIDs

Ben
3rd March 2008, 05:43 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/cpu-memory/news/2008/03/03/Intel-Details-Atom-Processor-For-MIDs/p1

It seems we can't go a week right now without Intel stumping up details of yet another even less power-hungry processor. We already saw leaks of Diamondville details, but now Intel has made them official, under the name of Atom.

Confusing matters slightly, there's actually two processor ranges, previously codenamed Diamondville and Silverthorne, that will come under the Atom banner. These are intended for sub-notebooks and Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs), respectively, so will have fairly different applications.

Atom chips will, as we know, be manufactured on the 45nm hi-k metal gate technology introduced with Penryn. Those destined for MIDs will have clock speeds ranging up to 1.8GHz and TDPs from an incredible 0.6W to 2.5W with idle power consumption is touted at as low as 30mW, a far cry from the 35W power draw of similarly clocked notebook Core 2 chips.

Previously codenamed Menlow, the Centrino Atom platform, in which these CPUs will be embedded, is set to offer support for WiMAX, WiFi and 3G/HSDPA, fitting in with the moniker of being an Internet device. Hopefully this should lead to devices like the Sony Vaio VGN-UX1XN but without the limitations, such as abysmal battery life.

It will still be a while after the announcement of the processors before we see MIDs using them, which is a shame because, now we have the details, the desire to get my grubby mitts on a system has increased tenfold.
Emphasis mine. Now that's what we're talking about :) In theory, this platform is the future of ultra mobile computing.

Hands0n
3rd March 2008, 11:38 PM
Intel have to make a commitment to WiMAX, and what better way to do it than make an all-purpose chip with embedded support for the technologies. I think this has the potential to end up in every single mobile device. And Intel wouldn't be too upset about that :)

A year is a long time to wait - maybe we won't have to that long. But now that the networks are finally waking up to the fact that their Killer App has been staring them in the face (mobile data) we should anticipate a lot of manufacturers making goods to exploit the networks. 2008/2009 are going to be a fabulous pair of years for mobile data (broadband in 21st century parlance!).

gorilla
4th March 2008, 09:17 AM
What of a future iphone being driven by one of these? Don't Apple have a good relationship with intel already?

Ben
4th March 2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I think it's likely we'll see an Atom powered iPhone. I also think it's likely we'll see a Centrino Atom device in the form of a multi-touch tablet. We'll see...