View Full Version : 3G Dongle sales hit 18,000 a week

3GScottishUser
6th March 2008, 06:36 PM
The battle for the mobile broadband market is hotting up with USB dongle sales jumping to 18,000 last week Ð the same amount sold in the whole of September last year.

USB dongle sales have been rising sharply week-on-week over the last six months, according to research firm GfK.

3 is thought to be well ahead of the pack with around half of all USB sales, while Vodafone and T-Mobile have recently slashed prices in a bid to compete with 3.

T-Mobile has cut its Web’n’Walk 24-month pay-monthly price from £20 to £15 in-stores. Meanwhile, Vodafone has also dropped its prices, matching T-Mobile’s £15 price tag, as well as switching its strategy from just the b2b market to target consumers.

The operator is heavily promoting its deals in newspapers and through outdoor advertising.

Orange has entered the market after a strong push from Phones 4u. However, O2 has yet to release its own dongle and has chosen to focus more on the fixed-line market.

Carphone Warehouse and Phones 4u stores account for around 30% of dongle sales.

Mobile recently reported that many 3 and T-Mobile stores claimed that 40% of their contract sales were USB dongles, with 55,000 sold in January leading up to last week’s peak.

Dongles are devices that plug into laptops to give wireless, broadband-speed internet access.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Dongles_sales_hit_18000_a_week.html

Looks like the killer 3G application has been found thanks to HSDPA. 3G Broadband is shaping up to be a challenger to fixed line broadband and I expect some mobile operators to use broadband to retain and keep mobile customers soon just as TalkTalk and Orange have done with fixed services. The whole telco market seems to be shifting and mobile (3G) broadband is creating new interest from students and others who have temporary accommodation.

Ben
6th March 2008, 09:35 PM
Fantastic news :D Onwards and upwards for mobile broadband! If this sort of growth isn't catching the eye of those high up in the mobops then nothing will. Invest in innovative mobile broadband services or become a dumb pipe :D

miffed
6th March 2008, 11:02 PM
EEEK !! :eek::eek:

Get your hands off my bandwidth you filthy swines !

Its MINE !! MINE I TELL YOU !!

I was here first :mad::p

Ben
6th March 2008, 11:34 PM
Which begs the question...

...which network will have a data meltdown first? :D

3g-g
6th March 2008, 11:49 PM
The whole telco market seems to be shifting and mobile (3G) broadband is creating new interest from students and others who have temporary accommodation.

Now hang on a minute... surely we didn't suggest this some 12 months ago or so... did we?:rolleyes:

Which begs the question...

...which network will have a data meltdown first? :D

Well I've seen some backhaul, I don't know what it's like compared to say, ISPs and BT, but it's impressive! Once we're all IP it won't matter, you'll just lease it from someone anyway will you not?

Hands0n
7th March 2008, 07:58 PM
Yes, we did indeed suggest this, and probably more than 12 months ago. In fact, I recall saying [myself] that 3G/HSDPA affordable mobile data was the "killer app" staring the mobile operators in the face. That they were too cowardly to check it out is lamentable of them, holding on instead to the "Premium product" mantra. I also think a few of us agreed that the Student and Rented Accommodation markets are a natural fit for 3G Mobile Data.

Interesting also that in some cases the HSDPA speeds can exceed those available on ADSL2+ even. Yes, there is a huge market for Mobile Data, and finally the Mobops are seeing the sense that we have been proclaiming for a very long time indeed.

I suppose it is a case of better late than never though. At last there is an awakening, even by that behemoth Vodafone, traditionally the most expensive mobile data operator in the UK. To see them competing at the £15/3GB end of the market is great.

We can forget O2 and Orange for the time being. These two are completely lost in the mobile data arena, especially O2 with its non-existent 3G network. They may catch up, but for now are an irrelevance. Orange are being dragged kicking and screaming (who else charges for their own portal access) and so deserve to be marginalised.

miffed
7th March 2008, 09:23 PM
I suspect Bob fuller is really confused by all this - after all , dongles don't even have tiny screens do they ? why would anyone want to use one on a mobile network ? :rolleyes:;)

Hands0n
7th March 2008, 11:26 PM
If there is any justice Mr Fuller is finding himself with nothing to fill his days with. What a complete plonker that man was. How the hell he ended up running 3 UK is a complete mystery. But the moment he did a "Ratner" was the moment that he sealed his fate. You don't go dissing the punters. No matter how big you think you are.

Somewhere in a memo or minute there is one of those infamous quotes of all time. You know the kind. Something like IBM who said there would only ever be 100,000 personal computers in the world, ever.

gorilla
7th March 2008, 11:58 PM
If there is any justice

ok, three called today to offer me a great deal. 25% off a 24 month contract deal. A free modem and land line rental at £7.50 per month for 24 months for 1gig. I almost took it. really. i thought it was a great offer.

Who am I? I seem to be getting all the offers now.