View Full Version : Unlimited Texts Coming To 3

getti
11th March 2008, 09:29 PM
3 is poised to launch a new unlimited texts tariff next week that massively undercuts rival deals, Mobile understands.

The ‘Unlimited Texter’ tariff will come at three price points, with a £25 deal expected to be the headline promotion. It will offer 500 minutes and unlimited texts. The other tariffs will also offer unlimited texts but different levels of minutes.

Customers will be able to choose a Nokia 6500 or a Sony Ericsson W880 at the launch with the likelihood of more handsets available in the coming months.

The deal is expected to generate further price pressure in what is already an extremely competitive market. It is also expected to irritate rival networks who have only recently become comfortable with declining average monthly line rental prices following the success of T-Mobile’s £35-per-month Flext deal in early 2006.

Orange started offering free unlimited texts on its £30 and above Dolphin tariffs last year on the basis that customers wouldn’t use all their texts, and that it was a compelling sale. Several operators followed suit with similar unlimited text deals.

3 is hoping its new deal will out-muscle rivals in the £25 bracket. Orange currently offers 100 minutes and 300 texts for £25, while Vodafone has a text heavy package of 150 minutes and 500 texts. O2 customers can get 200 minutes and 200 texts for the same price, while T-Mobile customers can get choose between 450 minutes or 900 texts.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/3_to_launch_£25_unlimited_text_tariff.html

hecatae
11th March 2008, 10:12 PM
this or sim only?

mike967angus
11th March 2008, 10:21 PM
Spoke to three today-no mention of sim only.

Hands0n
11th March 2008, 11:33 PM
Buy the contract and sell the handset on eBay - Hey Presto! SIM only :D

These downward pressures are a good thing for customers, and the mobile networks will not do too badly out of it as more people take up mobiles than before. Although the UK is a saturated market, there is scope for getting people to make more use of the networks through lower charges. The recent trends in mobile data are a good example of how to generate more business across the same audience. With the right blend of tariffs for voice and data there is likely to be more brand loyalty instilled in the customer base.

3GScottishUser
12th March 2008, 12:29 PM
This is based on contract deals with a handset from a set range.

3 cannot do much with SIM only as they don't allow users to roam at will on GSM like other networks due to the costs involved.

Ben
12th March 2008, 06:00 PM
3 cannot do much with SIM only as they don't allow users to roam at will on GSM like other networks due to the costs involved.
I think maybe I misunderstand this... Three SIM Only users are restricted to the Three network only? Or they're limited with SIM Only because of the cost of the roamers... or the whole product is limited because it requires people have a 3G phone?

You lost me ;)

mike967angus
12th March 2008, 07:30 PM
I always take sim only to be cheaper tarrif as no subsidised handset and 30 day cancellation rather than 12/18 months otherwise i would have taken their advice and done the e-bay thing:)

3GScottishUser
13th March 2008, 08:21 AM
I think maybe I misunderstand this... Three SIM Only users are restricted to the Three network only? Or they're limited with SIM Only because of the cost of the roamers... or the whole product is limited because it requires people have a 3G phone?

You lost me ;)

You need to use a 3G handset to have a 3 contract, so they have less scope to gain customers. On pre-pay 3 no longer care what network is used as the 12p/min flat rate covers their costs including roaming.

3 don't offer a SIM only comtract deal presently, just PAYG on Flat 12.

Ben
13th March 2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks, yeah I can appreciate that the SIM Only market is smaller for them. It's a wonder they don't release a 3G-only SIM with super-low rates to back it up.

3GScottishUser
13th March 2008, 01:12 PM
Looks like 3 have been beaten to the Unlimited texts for £25 a month by Vodafone.

Today in the Metro a Vodafone advert is offering a Nokia N81 on contract for £25 a month with either:

Unlimited SMS + 500 X/Net Mins per month

OR

250 SMS + 750 X/Net Mins per month

Usual 18 month tie-in etc

Hands0n
13th March 2008, 09:29 PM
What's up with Vodafone getting all competitive all of a sudden ...??

superfakename
13th March 2008, 10:04 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the metro that they could scan that offer for the Vodafone N81 because I can't seem to see the offer on their website?

TIA