View Full Version : Cheapest 3G Web Access

Hands0n
12th March 2008, 07:50 AM
Well worth a read is Moneysaving Expert's guide to the cheapest 3G web access at this time. This is a fast-moving market and so the information may go out of date during 2008. Even so, it is interesting who comes out tops and who knows, maybe they'll stay that way.

Mobile broadband is now available on most networks, but services vary dramatically. Vodafone is by far the fastest, offering a potential 7.2 MB in some areas. 3 offers the cheapest service overall, but carries a sting in the tail; it's not unlimited and charges a massive rate for usage over included allowance.

The full article, along with other information, is too long to repeat here but located at Source URL: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-mobile-broadband#cheapest

Do share with us your own experiences :)

Ben
12th March 2008, 10:05 AM
The more that drives adoption to the mainstream the better, and this article is definitely a helping hand. It's great to see Three and Vodafone right out in front, slogging it out for the lions share of a brand new market.

There's no doubt in my mind that Vodafone's excess charges are far more preferable than Three's. I know that Three has the potential to be cheaper on small overruns, but at the end of the day it's the predictability with Vodafone the user can think a little less about how much they're using. I think that in the future we will see overrun rates come down a lot more, perhaps to around £5/gig, which will be just about right.

I'd like to have seen some coverage of the prepaid deals to learn a little more about how they stack up. I think Three probably wins out there.

miffed
12th March 2008, 10:59 AM
Shame there isn't a network that doesn't charge at all for overuns and simply warns you if you go over several times , then recommend you move up a package ....

....Oh wait , there is , Lets pretend they don't exist eh ? ;)

Ben
12th March 2008, 11:11 AM
Mhm, I don't think that tariff structure can make it mass-market with mobile broadband. I'd imagine it's pretty costly to the operators, and in the interests of keeping performance good I think a "pay as you use" model, if reasonable, will be the best outcome for everyone.

Vodafone's previous tariffs (which I'm still on) have no immediate penalty for overruns in the UK.

I'm guessing you're talking about T-Mobile. I wonder why we're not hearing much about their product in relation to Three and Vodafone :S

Hands0n
12th March 2008, 09:24 PM
I too was surprised at the lack of a mention for T-Mobile who, after all, pretty much started this particular goldrush off with their Web N Walk product. It could be that we are witnessing the usual leapfrogging of the competing companies.

3 have certainly come out of the gates with a bit of a jump, which is surprising given their attitude to mobile data under the chairmanship of Bob Fuller. But the new lad Kevin Russell has breathed a lungfull of fresh air into the company it seems. 3 have become a market disruptor, and they're doing a jolly good job of things I reckon.

Back to T-Mobile for a moment. Their current Mobile Broadband (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/internet/pay-monthly/?ref=newhome_broadband) offer is quite interesting if you are up for a 24-month commitment. For that you will only pay £15 for 3GB allowance and, as miffed has quite rightly pointed out, no penalty charge for going over - just a friendly reminder. The offer also includes unlimited WiFi Hotspot access which you will find at almost ever Texaco garage in the land, at least. But that offer ends 31st March 2008 when the price will return to £20. However, it will be interesting to see if T-Mobile really will jack up their offer price when the competition in the form of 3 and Vodafone are staying at £15/3GB.

I've said it before, 2008 is the year to watch Mobile Broadband skyrocket. There may be some casualties along the way but one thing is for certain, Pandora's box is now well and truly open. The mobile network operators can either compete and grab a slice of this new market or watch their ARPU stagnate or even slide!

miffed
12th March 2008, 10:26 PM
WiFi Hotspot access which you will find at almost ever Texaco garage in the land, at least.

Eh ? Did no-one tell them that RF will cause petrol stations to explode ??

Everyone "knows" that !

Hands0n
12th March 2008, 10:58 PM
Eh ? Did no-one tell them that RF will cause petrol stations to explode ??

Everyone "knows" that !

LOL, don't get me started! I had a full-on row with the manager at a local Morrisons petrol station. I was on a headset and he wanted me to stop my conversation while I was in the shop paying, saying that I could start a fire. "Only by spontaneously combusting" was my witty response, he was not amused. I dug my heels in, insisted that he allow me to pay me bill and leave.

When I got home I did quite a bit of research. Apparently there has not been a single instance of a mobile phone causing a fire at a petrol station, anywhere in the world, ever! However, there have been plenty of petrol station fires caused by ...... static electricity sparks from people's clothing.

So there you have it people. Feel free to carry on with your phone call when filling up your jamjar but for pity's sake take all your clothes off :D