View Full Version : Vodafone contract handsets now unlocked

3GScottishUser
15th March 2008, 04:02 PM
Saw this on the Vodafone forum:

Contract

All new contract handsets are now network unlocked, and you can request the unlock codes of contract handsets of any age free of charge.

Pay As You Talk

As before, handsets older than 12 months can be unlocked free of charge, and handsets under 12 months old can be unlocked for just £19.99 including VAT.

Thanks,

Tom

eForum Team

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=615

miffed
15th March 2008, 05:29 PM
Excellent , Common sense prevails ! thats two down , three to go

I have never really seen the point of Contract handsets being locked , or more, I see the point - but don't think it is a "fair" restriction , They name their price to SELL you the handset (via price and line rental)... as long as you are paying them what they have asked for , then you should be free to use YOUR phone on whichever network you like !!
Operators should realise that the best way to get you to USE their services is to make them good , competitive , inituative and Value for money - not by locking your handset so you have no choice !

Well done Vodafone !

Hands0n
15th March 2008, 07:00 PM
Well, that could not have been less painless :) Nor could it have been any more efficient or quicker. Vodafone at their absolute best, I'd say.

I called Vodafone - explained that I wanted the unlock code as it was not cited as free of charge on the Vodafone forum. "Certainly sir" came the pleasant reply. I gave him the IMEI and my eMail address and a few seconds later an email popped into my mailbox with the unlock code. But ..... be careful, sometimes the email gets a bit mashed up ..

IMEI 351234567890123 Manufacturer Nokia Model N95 There is no GID1 Code listed for this IMEI GID1 Procedure NUC 024056788765273 NUC Procedure 1. With the Vodafone sim card inside the handset. 2. Key pw NUC 1 The p w and symbols are found by keying the key twice for the symbol, three times for p and four times for w . 3. The handset should then display Sim restriction off

Thats all very well, but it is confusing wording and there are missing info. So I called up their CS again and a helpful chap explained that sometimes the email goes out wrong and what was missing. See below in Red what should have been

IMEI 351234567890123 Manufacturer Nokia Model N95 There is no GID1 Code listed for this IMEI GID1 Procedure NUC 024056788765273 NUC Procedure 1. With the Vodafone sim card inside the handset. 2. Key #pw+NUC+1# The # p w and symbols are found by keying the key twice for the # symbol, three times for p and four times for w . 3. The handset should then display Sim restriction off

So I entered in #pw+024056788765273+1# and in a moment got Sim restriction off and the N95 rebooted. I now have one unlocked and debranded Nokia N95. Woo hoo.

NB: The IMEI and NUC are not the real ones for my N95 and for heaven's sake please do not go entering them into your N95 or you'll kill it stone dead!

Ben
15th March 2008, 07:45 PM
Just done mine too! The guy talked me through it while on speaker, of course it then cut him off when it rebooted - lmao! :D

Chuffed, nice one Vodafone!

Hands0n
15th March 2008, 09:25 PM
Does anyone know if O2 still supply their Contract phones unlocked? They used to, but I'm not sure if that is still the case. As far as I know it is only the iPhone that is locked to O2

I certainly hope that Vodafone is starting a trend in all the Mobile Network Operators to stop using the SP Lock facility. A curse on whoever thought that one up!

miffed
16th March 2008, 12:09 AM
I bought my O2 e90 in November 07 and that was unliocked on

miffed
16th March 2008, 09:07 AM
I wonder if this applies to USB modems too ?

3GScottishUser
16th March 2008, 11:38 AM
Bang goes the buisness of the unlockers - well at least for Vodafone customers!

Nice one!

Ben
16th March 2008, 11:50 AM
I think it's probably PAYG customers who fuel most of the unlocking trade, given that they've got no commitment, but I could be wrong.

Hands0n
16th March 2008, 02:54 PM
Another success story. This time with my 2005 Sony Ericsson W900i that has been languising on my desk for quite a long time. It is in mint condition and every now and then I pop my Vodafone SIM in and take it out for a day or so. But it would be nice to use it on my other networks too :D Lets see if it is easy as it was yesterday with the Nokia N95.

So, I've just spent less than 5 mins on the call, most of that listening to their music on hold (I wonder if they are being inundated). Told them what I wanted, the CS did the thing they do, and sent it to me in email when I asked them to. Within seconds it was in my InBox.

You really cannot ask for anything more efficient than that.

Dear Customer

Further to your telephone conversations with the Vodafone Helpline regarding the unlocking of your Sony Ericsson W900i handset. I set out below the procedure and the unlocking code:-

NUC CODE: 328****7******** (Ed. blooming great 16-digit code)
1. Remove the Vodafone SIM from the handset. Replace the battery and switch on.
2. Move the jog dial left then press the * key twice and then move the jog dial left
3. Network appears on screen
4. Then select YES.
5. NCK will appear - key in NUC and Yes, phone should then be unlocked.

If the procedure above fails to work please do not attempt to enter the procedure again. Please contact the Vodafone Helpline for further assistance.

I hope that you will find this information straightforward, however should you require any further information or assistance please contact the Helpline on 191 from your mobile.

I really like what Vodafone have done, it is a great initiative and stops all of this nonsense people have to go through to use the handsets that they have paid for [through subsidy] but then have no ability to use elsewhere.

Does anyone know if there is an EU angle to all of this? Harmonisation of rules or something? It just seems a bit strange for Vodafone to do this right out of the blue, not that I'm looking a gift-horse in the mouth.

Hands0n
30th April 2008, 08:41 PM
More info officially from Vodafone here --> http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=371