View Full Version : Vodafone axes 450 at Newbury HQ

Hands0n
18th March 2008, 06:07 PM
Happenings like this [re]awaken the cynic in me. Of course Vodafone have to make money, and this is all about making money and little to do with Customer Service other than teaching the customer how to spend more with Vodafone.

I had wondered why Vodafone had recently lowered its Mobile Data tariffs by 50% (£15/3GB package). Now I think I can see why. Personally I have absolutely zero interest in buying any premium data services or any other so-called premium anything from Vodafone or any other operator. If I want my Madonna album I'll happily await it's arrival on CD and source it from there. My Nokia N95 (Classic) is a lot of things but an iPod it is not. Can they convince the rest of their punters otherwise? Who knows, and good luck to them if they can. But I, for one, will not be buying.

Footnote: It is never nice to see anyone lose their livelihood at any time - but in the face of a global recession it is even sadder to witness. Lets hope that the 450 displaced find a replacement job without too much difficulty.

Vodafone is laying off 450 staff at its Newbury headquarters and employing more staff in shops to show customers how mobile phones work.

The operator said the HQ cuts had nothing to do with current economic conditions, and that it would not be closing any of the buildings on the Newbury campus. Rather, it is all about "simplifying its operating model" by getting customers to use the trickier services it is pushing.

The addition of 330 "retail advisors" reflects how operators now see their customers - as punters crying out for premium data services but lacking the knowledge of how to use them. The vast majority of phones are still being used mostly to make phone calls, a service which is a lot less profitable than it used to be, and talking a punter though downloading a Madonna track makes it much more likely they'll use their phone for downloading in future.

Another 130 staff are being recruited to help businesses understand how to use their mobiles.

Anyone who's experienced Vodafone's billing systems lately will be pleased to hear that another 30 bodies are being recruited into "enhanced e-billing capability".

In all it's 450 out - around 10 per cent of the Newbury workforce, though apparently 20 per cent of the senior management are for the chop - and 490 being recruited around the country into (lower-paid) roles showing punters how to access premium services... and making sure they get billed for them.

Once Voda's customers have learnt how to download the latest music those punters will be able to enjoy seven tracks from Madonna's latest album, Hard Candy, a week before the proles, at 99 pence a track, with one being released each day to count down to the general release.

Source Article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/18/vodafone_layoffs/

Nero
3rd April 2008, 10:41 PM
As one of the 450 I can certainly confirm it's not a nice position to be in. Until my final pay check is in, I won't be rude about VF just yet.

It was nice whilst it lasted.

Hands0n
3rd April 2008, 10:44 PM
Sorry to read that you're one of the victims Nero. I hope you find something quickly enough. Don't disappear fella :)

Ben
3rd April 2008, 11:27 PM
Yes, sorry to hear that Nero. Best of luck finding something else.

Nero
5th April 2008, 08:36 AM
Cheers chaps.

Nero
30th June 2008, 12:12 AM
Sunday night and after eight years my last day of employment with VF dawns tomorrow, I’ve stripped down my laptop, my phone, my blackberry, removed all of the personal stuff. It’s quite impressive how your personal and work files all seem to get somehow intermingled over time. All the kit gets handed back at 9:00 sharp tomorrow morning, I’ll be sad to say good bye to both it and the fun we had.

I’ve been an avid reader or this forum, but due to my job I never really felt that I should be an active poster – too many conflicts of interest.

I’ve got some stories to tell but I’m still loyal to VF, sorry will not be spilling many beans just yet.

Thanks

Ben
30th June 2008, 12:56 AM
Well, I hope tomorrow goes without any hiccups. All the best.

As for your Vodafone stories, it's never wise to burn bridges - but there's no harm in swaying them a bit ;)

Hands0n
30th June 2008, 07:18 PM
Hey Nero - good luck to your future fella. Don't you go AWOL on us :)

Nero
30th June 2008, 10:34 PM
Well all done and dusted, I'm now a free agent.

My job at VF was designing and implementing the call centre systems, more complex and difficult than you may appreciate. Imagine a system with circa 5000 concurrent agent users, taking circa one call every 20 seconds, with a unique subscriber base of 18 million individuals. Bare in mind that the client agent systems need to talk to both the mobile network, and the provisioning and the billing systems all in time frames that allows for quick call turn over. Also tie in CTI integration across multiple in house and out house call centres and then the fun starts

Every time you rang up and the agent said "sorry the system is down", well that was my fault.

Oh the fun.

maxspank
1st July 2008, 09:41 PM
Every time you rang up and the agent said "sorry the system is down", well that was my fault.

Oh the fun.

Oh man, I can't count the number of times I wanted to kick in my PC whilst working at Vertex on the Vodafone contract. that was prbly a mix of both their systems playing up though, but it'd always happen at the worst moment. Although I wasn't complaining when our systems went down for 3 days =D.

Sorry to hear about you losing your job, got anything else lined up?

Nero
1st July 2008, 10:35 PM
Oh man, I can't count the number of times I wanted to kick in my PC whilst working at Vertex on the Vodafone contract. that was prbly a mix of both their systems playing up though, but it'd always happen at the worst moment. Although I wasn't complaining when our systems went down for 3 days =D.

Sorry to hear about you losing your job, got anything else lined up?

One of the problems with the Vertex outlay was that it was all delivered via Citrix, which added an extra level of technical complexity and hence "stuff that would go wrong".

The only thing I have lined up just yet is a few months off. :-)