View Full Version : Super 3G Hits 250Mbps In Real World Test

Ben
27th March 2008, 05:16 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-devices/news/2008/03/27/Super-3G-Hits-250Mbps-In-Real-World-Test/p1

...Following on from successful tests in November last year of 100Mbps mobile downloads, Japan's infamously stringent NTT DoCoMo has announced it has successfully completed real world testing of Super 3G managing to hit an incredible 250Mbps.

Conducted in an actual wireless environment near its R&D labs in Yokosuka, south of Tokyo, the test involves four Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) antennas for base-station transmission and mobile-station reception in the 20MHz bandwidth, the maximum under new Super 3G standards. Naturally enough, this number will shrink on a crowded network, but we're starting from a stunningly high bar!...
LTE is sounding pretty good. I mean, this is the path the networks have chosen to take (in terms of going down the WCDMA route), so they're going to make it work in a reliable and cost-effective way. We're a couple of years away from these sorts of speeds, but that sounds about right given that Vodafone are only just rolling out 7.2Mbps now which means maybe we'll see 14Mbps rollouts start towards the end of next year.

Hands0n
27th March 2008, 08:10 PM
It makes one wonder what the Americans will do. They hate global standards as a rule, much preferring to take an introspective view in order to protect their own markets from outside intrusion. I can wait for 250Mbps over Super 3G - I'm getting enough of a buzz seeing 7.2 actually work in a live environment, if you can call London live :D