View Full Version : Nokia confirms Tube 'iPhone killer' handset in pipeline

Ben
8th April 2008, 01:05 PM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/08/nokia_tube_iphone_confirmed/

Nokia has confirmed that it’s developing a touchscreen-equipped handset to take on the Apple iPhone, and has shown off pictures of the upcoming phone to drooling onlookers.

The Finnish giant’s handset is codenamed 'Tube', and Tom Libretto, VP of Forum Nokia, said the device will be the company’s “first touch device”.

Libretto remained unsurprisingly coy about the full array of features the Tube will offer. Aside from confirming that the Nokia handset will be entirely touch operated, he added that it will also support Java – something which the iPhone doesn’t yet officially support - and will allow photos to be uploaded to the web.

Given the codename, it's fair to suggest Nokia sees it as a mobile video platform. And with the DVB-H mobile digital TV standard now starting to gain momentum, Tube will probably be a handheld telly too.

Several pictures of the handset have already appeared online, which were taken from a Nokia presentation given at a recent Evans Data developer conference held in California. The device looks like the iPhone’s long lost twin, except for a Nokia logo stuck underneath the handset’s earpiece. The Tube’s display doesn’t look as wide as the iPhone’s, but appearances can be deceptive. Nokia's design also lacks the iPhone's 'home' button.

Unconfirmed reports suggest Nokia's would-be iPhone killer will run on the Symbian S60 platform.

Nokia hasn't said when the Tube will be available, or how much it will cost.

Hands0n
8th April 2008, 07:59 PM
I would need to see a lot more of it first. But initial feeling is that it don't 'arf look like an iPod Touch. I suppose it is flattering to Apple for the giant Nokia to even contemplate bringing out something that looks so much like the silver shiny thing itself. That really is a hard act to follow though, the iPhone has that certain quintessential style that singles it out amongst the crowd.

So the 'Tube' is on its way then, finally. One has to ask why it has taken the best part of 18 months to even launch the device, never mind make it actually available.

Of course, it is all in the eye of the beholder. The second iPhone is going to have its work cut out for it in the style department. Do the same thing as the original and the detractors will say it is merely a point release (why not? Nokia do it all of the time). Get it wrong and they'll say that Apple are slipping.

Nokia, on the other hand, have only to bring out something that does pretty much what the iPhone does, and then some. They have an excellent chance having learned from the N95, N958GB and now the N96. If they encapsulate the best functionality of these, combine it with an effective 'touch' interface and [please] get S60 right this time round, then they might just have a bit of a lead on Apple. There are, however, a lot of Nokia traditionalists who may well find themselves unable to accept the new Nokia.

I can't wait to see this thing in action. It will be interesting to see how it is priced too. If it were me I'd put it out on the street at the same price as the 16GB iPhone (£329) and make it SIM-free. Now that would set the cat amongst the pigeons.

miffed
8th April 2008, 09:53 PM
Come on then Nokia , do your worst :D :D:D

Are you sure it'll be an iPhone killer, and not a "Viewty" killer ..... or how about and NXCV VIIIGB killer ?

I mean come on - there are loads of handsets that are apparently "Better" than the iPhone ?? so why would Nokia want to "Kill" a device that has already been slayed many times ? :confused:

I'm confused !

Ben
9th April 2008, 01:26 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2008/04/09/Nokia-Tube-iPhone-Killer-Specs-Leak/p1

And not out until 2009? No thanks.

Am thinking the 3G iPhone will be my next phone. I really don't want it on O2, though...

miffed
9th April 2008, 01:36 PM
It is a Nokia though , so maybe they mean they are launching now and the fist lot of stable firmware will be 2009 ? ;)

Hands0n
9th April 2008, 08:36 PM
By 2009 Apple will have the touchscreen market pretty well sewn up. They are, in V2 of the firmware, making a very definite stab at the Enterprise sector. If you have not seen the Steve Jobs presentation last month then take a good and careful look. Apple's intentions are very clear. And with the capabilities of OS X and its soon-to-be full Microsoft Exchange capability it will be a hand-in-glove fit for any Enterprise be it small, medium or global. Unlike the Blackberry with its BIS/BES intermediate servers the iPhone's Exchange capability is a direct fit, push mail, contacts, calendar and all.

Once the IT departments get it in their heads at how Apple have designed it for flexibility and security they'll snap it up in pallet-loads. Watch the bit in the presentation how an Enterprise IT shop can wipe the iPhone remotely within seconds of being notified that it is lost or stolen.