View Full Version : Larger Vodafone stores selling 50 dongles per month

Hands0n
9th April 2008, 10:25 PM
Now all we need is for international data roaming to become affordable.

A cited 10-fold increase in sales. They had better batten down the hatches, I reckon that they haven't seen anything yet.

Vodafone retail staff said the company is struggling to cope with dongle demand, with stores continually running out of the devices.

One Vodafone staffer said: ‘We’re selling about 50 per month now. It used to be five per month.’

The massive marketing campaign and the £15-per-month deal appears to be generating huge interest in mobile broadband.

Vodafone’s network is also understood to be under some strain, with some sources claiming that there are problems with network capacity.

3, meanwhile, is offering its mobile broadband dongle deal for £5 per month to its existing mobile phone customers.

Source: http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Vodaphone_stores_selling_dongles.html

chaslam
9th April 2008, 11:06 PM
Blimey is that it! I thought the larger ones would be much more then that! Our vodafone stand sell about 10 a week, 15 if its a good week and we are just a tiny stand in a PCW store!

Hands0n
9th April 2008, 11:12 PM
Errr, it may just be my math chazzers but .... doesn't 10 - 15 a week work out to around 50 a month LOL :D :D :D

That aside, these are remarkable figures across the board when you consider the position five months ago when even we would have said that such sales would be an impossibility.

It really was all down to the tariffs, just as we all said. Sorry, I'm in "... told you so..." mode tonight with the mobile ops :D

getti
9th April 2008, 11:30 PM
last month in the store i worked at 3 we sold about 80 modems lol.

Ben
10th April 2008, 09:01 AM
I suppose a PCW concession is a good place to sell mobile broadband... a mobile phone shop, on the other hand, may be a bit more of a struggle unless the network stores start carrying a selection of laptops.

I hope the networks know what they're doing, rushing in to the ISP domain. It's not like all the UK ISP's are flush with cash ;) Still, the mobops have relatively small inclusive allowances and, increasingly, automatic charging when you go over, so they should be able to keep it profitable. Capacity must surely be a nightmare to manage right now!

chaslam
10th April 2008, 09:37 AM
Haha yes what im saying is that we are only a tiny tiny little stand in a pcw branch (A reasonably big branch I can give it that) and if its only the larger vodafone stores selling 50 per month, then we are doing pretty dam well! Yes I suppose Ben is right, its due to the amount of laptops etc we sell, and essentially its what people come in for, whereas with a vodafone shop its more phones they walk in for.