View Full Version : Vodafone: ‘We know our roaming data rates stink’

Hands0n
10th April 2008, 08:25 PM
Oh Vodafone! You are such a funny bunch :rolleyes: Try and understand that your customers really, honestly and truly do not like getting or feeling like they are getting ripped off. Just try being reasonable with us and we'll use all the roaming you could ever wish for. But not at your silly prices, didn't you learn with Voice? Or with national data that is now selling quicker than you can produce it?

Link: Vodafone rejects EU call for caps on data roaming charges - International Herald Tribune (http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/02/12/technology/voda.php?WT.mc_id=techalert)

The Vodafone chief said he was aware of consumer discontent with high wireless data charges, and Vodafone had been responding by lowering charges.

“Just look at our prices,” Sarin said. “Nobody has to tell me what our customers are telling us. We are talking to our customers every day.”
Should that reply from Arun actually be:
“We are talking to our customers every day and telling them to stick it.”

I wonder.

There’s not much use having a ‘dialogue’ when, simply, customers want much, much cheaper data roaming fees. This opinion is based on the 1,200 pounds I inadvertently spent in Cannes last year, thanks to Big Red.
But if I was Vodafone, I’d listen, smile nicely, tell the regulator to stick it, raise the inclusive amount of roaming data a little to placate the heavy users and do my best to avoid lowering the prices until market pressure absolutely positively requires price adjustment. Exactly what Vodafone appears to be doing — and, well, they’re a business. Fair play.

Source SMSTextNews: http://www.smstextnews.com/2008/02/vodafone_we_know_our_roaming_data_rates_stink.html

Ben
10th April 2008, 10:22 PM
Tbh, if Voda increased the data allowance in its 24h roaming sessions then it'd be pretty good. Truth is, 50MB just wont cut it - as I found out! Of course, I thought the charge was per day, not per 24h, so I was at an immediate disadvantage, but the fact that there's no way of even tracking data usage in real time with the operator (come on, how hard could it be to have a page that shows real time usage!!!) surely justifies giving customers at least 200MB.

chaslam
10th April 2008, 11:32 PM
Its still beyond me why the other networks dont do something similar to 3likehome. I mean vodafone are globally the biggest network with networks in hundreds of countries, and I know each are "technically" their own little network, a simple solution like 3likehome would make all the difference. Ok, for someone like o2 to do that with networks in hardly any other countries would be a bit pointless (although now alot bigger being owned by telefonica) but a huge network like vodafone could quite easily implement it.