View Full Version : 85% of people don't even know what 3G is!

3g-g
11th May 2005, 01:06 AM
From the Times online, the original article is here. (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8209-1607173,00.html)

This is where we can all help! A place for you to become enlightened!

THEY have spent billions buying the technology and millions marketing it. But five years after Britain’s mobile phone operators acquired the licences for third-generation phones, most people have no idea what 3G is.

A study of nearly 3,000 people by Ofcom, the telecoms watchdog, published yesterday, revealed that 85 per cent of people still do not know what “3G” means.

The term was understood by fewer people than other technology, including broadband, fast-speed internet access, digital radio and digital television.

The report, by Ofcom’s Consumer Panel, says: “The language used in the communications sector inhibits many consumers other than the young.

“Knowledge of 3G is particularly low . . . with three in four residential consumers unaware of this term.

“Furthermore, the majority of consumers have not heard of 3G as a term relating to communications services.”

The finding is the latest blow for the mobile operators that spent £22.5 billion acquiring 3G licences in 2000. The launch of the handsets has been dogged by technical setbacks, high costs and poor demand. Even advertising campaigns by companies such as Vodafone appear to have had little impact.

One UK operator famously described the handsets as being hot enough to “fry an egg on”.

Aware that 3G has failed to live up to the hype, operators admit privately that they will use “4G” only as a technical term for the next generation of mobiles. But the operators denied that the report showed 3G had flopped.

O2, Britain’s third-ranked mobile operator, said: “We have consistently said that customers do not buy the technology, they buy the products.”

3GScottishUser
11th May 2005, 04:58 AM
This is exactly what I have been saying for ages!

Almost nobody but anoraks cares about what technology a device uses, they buy it when they are convinced it has some value and meets their needs. This is a fundemental principle and applies to all products, mobiles phones are not excluded.

Ben
11th May 2005, 01:01 PM
Ah yes, but did they ask everyone what G3 is? That's what everone seems to bloomin' call it! lol.

As for spending millions on marketing 3G, I'm certain no more has been spent than advertising the new coloured variations of Fairy Liquid. With there being more mobiles than people (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=523) in the UK, shouldn't that really justify some seriously impressive advertising campaigns?

I still have no doubt that 3G is the future, but it's very obvious that there are currently huge gaps in the market for devices that use the technology and huge gaps in public knowledge of what the technology can do. I think believing that video calling would somehow make everyone want one was a big mistake, and the coverage issues don't exactly help either.

Jon3G
11th May 2005, 04:26 PM
I mentioned buying a 3G to my sister the other day and all got was a blank look. She thought it was a manafucture :p

Hands0n
14th May 2005, 12:02 AM
I think it is safe to say that everyone I know that has a 3G handset (specifically from H3) bought into it for the tariff only. They knew little and cared even less that it was 3G technology - merely wanting cheap calls and texts.

This is a very interesting article though. It suggests that the "big four" may have a tougher time selling 3G per se than even H3 had - particularly if the cheap H3 tariffs were the sole attraction to the technology in the first place.

I must say that, for what my peer group generally use their 3G phones for, 3G is pretty much a technological irrelevance.

simax
15th May 2005, 10:20 PM
If anyone asks about what 3G is, I make sure that people understand my quick 2 minute intro ;)

I find that as soon as someone has a demo 3G phone in their hands, made a few video calls, downloaded content from Orange World (It's quick and very easy to stream a Sky News video for free) that they're tuned into what 3G can ACTUALLY do.

It's useful having a 3G mast on the roof of your shop as well ;)

Simon

PS: Isn't it infuriating that when people say "3G", they actually mean 3. On The Link's morning voicebank call, it was always "We need to push the Talk and Texts deals on 3G". No wonder the punters are confused! Maybe they all thing 3G is H3G....... :mad:

Hands0n
22nd May 2005, 11:33 PM
I have mentioned before my Luddite friend - all the more strange really as he is in IT but hey ho, it takes all sorts.

I sent him a URL to an article about Vodafone Simply http://www.todayon3g.co.uk/simply.htm"http://www.todayon3g.co.uk/simply.htm

I would like to share with you the missive that he uttered forth today in response. He has a certain expressiveness that may not be to everyone's taste - but it did rather make me LMFAO as he shares his views on mobile phone technology in a way that only he knows how to :eek:

There is a serious side to this though - he really does feel this way, as do several that I seem to associate with. They all look on me "kindly" when I enthusiastically whip out my latest handset.

So what do you think? Is he right, are we right, is anyone right?

If you've a sensitive disposition - do not read any further :)

7ucking marvellous.

This is what all 7ucking mobiles should be like - and with that telephone
handset plug-in you showed me the other week it looks as if these 6loody
companies are beginning to realise that demographically, the majority of
mobile phone users in a few years time are going to be the over 40's who
don't want 7ucking gadgets on their, what is intended as a simple
communications device, telephones. We don't want 7ucking widgets and
gadgets and 3,4,5 & 6G and the latest 6astard ideas of putting 7ucking
keyboards on these 7ucking devices so the stupid vvanky customers can dial
in to their work and read their 7ucking email (WHY??!!). Telephones are for
speaking into and listening from; And computers on a desk (or on your lap
if you push it - but I'm not yet convinced) are for writing emails and
reading email with. Yes I can plug my laptop into my phone and dial in to
send an email on the train if I want to - BUT I DON'T 7UCKING WANT TO. I'm
on a train because I'm 7ucking well going to work....in my own time.....and
when I get to work - that's when I'll 7ucking well write my emails - I'm on
a train in my own time so I'll read the 7ucking paper, magazine or comic -
or what ever else I want to do - which isn't 7uck around with a 7ucking
piece of gadgetry which these 7ucking companies will make redundant
within 6 months of my having bought the 7ucking thing.

Don't get me started on this one *****, you know I'm going to start
swearing and calling people names in a minute if you do....

He is an awfully nice lad really, but he does not take his medication as oft as he should :)

So, are we generally pushing our population into insanity?

3g-g
23rd May 2005, 12:38 AM
Brilliant!:)

The push into insanity may be exactly what's happening. I'm amazed by the different reactions of various friends & family members when it comes to the release of something new or fandangled way of doing something now. At first I thought it was an age thing, but I've come to find that even friends of similar age to myself are still stuck in the days of SMS and 9.6k. A telephone is all they want, they're not interested in pictures, tones, video, TV, high speed data, email or where they are in the world to find the nearest chippy.

I can see it from the other side's point of view, why do you want to be constantly in contact? Why do you want to pick your office email up on the move? It's a completely valid point, you're giving more time to work, losing your own free time and not being paid for it. But I'm afraid as the world moves on around you it's situations like that, where if you were the one to react to some crucial work situation and your colleague didn't, it'll be you that moves on and up. It's sad to think like that I know, but at what point can you draw the line?