View Full Version : 3 now advertising sharing with T-Mobile

3GScottishUser
18th April 2008, 09:10 PM
Just visited the 3 site and they are now advertising that they have the UK's biggest 3G network and have a 3 + T-Mobile 3G network icon on the pay monthly page.

So no secret for consumers anymore. The 3 and T-Mobile networks are becoming one in the same and 3 appear happy to advertise that fact.

solo12002
20th April 2008, 11:31 AM
Its been on there for almost a month.

Ben
20th April 2008, 11:41 AM
I find it curious that they're advertising the fact :S I mean, why would you want your customers to know? Why not just whack up your claims about population coverage or something?

getti
20th April 2008, 11:43 AM
3 used to brag to everyone they have the largest 3G footprint in the UK and sold on that fact. Now though with a mast share both will offer the same coverage so will compete on prices and services.

Exciting times ahead :)

Ben
20th April 2008, 11:46 AM
Very exciting for the consumer - finally we could end up with a physical network large enough and well financed enough, in my eyes, to compete with Vodafone's. It's going to take a few years though.

Hands0n
20th April 2008, 02:43 PM
Do you think it will take years? This stuff deploys very quickly. So we could find that coverage and capability match Vodafone quite soon. Honestly though, I'd like to see the network become independent from the operator and full industrial strength coverage become a reality. For as long as coverage is a commercially justifiable requirement we will continue to have gaps in coverage. In 2008 that is a laughable state to be in.

Ben
20th April 2008, 02:50 PM
T-Mobile's and 3's networks must have some fundamental differences - I mean, Three still haven't fully deployed HSDPA in the south of England as we saw on those coverage maps and I can only assume that's due to the type of equipment they installed all the way back when the launched. You know what big organisations are like, I believe it really could take them a couple of years to really offer a 'bullet proof' physical network.

I do agree WRT universal coverage, though. I think three physical networks would be sustainable in the UK. Any less and I think we risk losing the current highly competitive state of our market that is driving technological advancement - such as Vodafone's eagerness to push out 7.2mbps HSPA.

Hands0n
20th April 2008, 03:06 PM
I agree that the network differences between T-Mobile and 3 could be significantly different. But bringing them together should be a viable proposition or they would not have gone this far already. I hope it does not take several years, simply because I don't think the companies have that long to play with.

My utopian dream would be a mobile network infrastructure run by a consortium rather like the international banks have SWIFT, the Foreign Exchange banks have FX-Net, and the good old rail companies have Railtrack. So any MNO would be compelled to finance the network company but not have a say in what they do exactly. Being a network company the consortium would have no other business or vested interest than running a legally mandated mobile network across 100% of the country, and supporting all licensed technologies (i.e. 2G, 2.5G, 3G, HSPA). The MNOs would be able to state requirements of the network company but not unduly influence how it develops.