View Full Version : Sony Ericsson Profits Crash 48%

Ben
24th April 2008, 12:33 AM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2008/04/24/Sony-Ericsson-Profits-Crash-48-/p1

If you ask me, and I appreciate that nobody has, SE has been tanking for a little while now.

Thought Motorola was the only mobile phone company feeling the pinch? You'd be wrong...

Traditionally strong performing super-partnership Sony Ericsson has this week revealed some particularly nasty Q1 figures - and tried to hide it by simultaneously launching two mediocre handsets.

Never one to be distracted by shiny things however let's look at these figures first because they really are quite shocking. Off the bat, profits have crashed a huge 48 per cent to €133m while sales also fell eight per cent compared to the same year ago quarter. Overall market share also dropped from nine to eight per cent despite Sony Ericsson admitting the handset market is expected to grow 10 per cent in 2008. Oh dear.

On a slightly more positive note (though not one that is likely to inspire a huge improvement in sales) SE has announced two new HSDPA models, the clamshell 'Z780' and candybar 'G502'. Despite their nippy connectivity both are fairly midrange with circa 2in QVGA screens, 2MP cameras, Bluetooth and M2 expansion slots. Some excitement does come with the inclusion of a Google Maps app (though that can be manually installed on virtually handset on the market) while the Z780 offers Asssisted GPS and the G502 doesn't.

Look for these - if you feel so inclined - before the end of Q2. Pricing and availability will be revealed closer to launch.

Methinks you need to launch the Xperia X1 sooner rather than later fellas...
Blu-ray won out. I suppose you can't win them all.

Hands0n
24th April 2008, 08:58 PM
Thats a real shame as SE handsets delightful and have a loyal following. I don't think that they quite keep up with the likes of the N95 and iPhone which sit at the top of the tree. And they really have not been innovative for quite some time now. But they are a handset to be trusted, much like the older Nokia.

I, for one, hope that SE can ride out the storm. They really do not deserve to go the way of Motorola.

The Mullet of G
31st December 2008, 02:55 PM
I think your being generous there Ben, SE have been tanking for a long time. :D

Also the Blu-Ray victory was probably a bit on the hollow side, considering what its cost them, least of all in the money they have lost on the PS3 alone due to it. It wouldn't be so bad but I really can't see it stamping out DVD anytime soon, if at all before the next format arrives, possibly digital distribution which is already here. So it could end up being another footnote along with the Philips CDi and similar minority formats, most of which Sony invented. :D