View Full Version : Upgrade time....

MORPH
4th May 2008, 05:43 PM
OK, it's that time of year again.... any suggestions folks? I have the N95 atm, so want something along the same lines, preferably Nokia but I'm open to ideas. I'm tempted by the N95 8gb, but what with the imminent release of the N96 would like to wait if it's available very soon! My only hesitation is will Nokia release an N96 32gb with better battery and screen within months of me getting an N96!

Hands0n
4th May 2008, 06:29 PM
My only hesitation is will Nokia release an N96 32gb with better battery and screen within months of me getting an N96!

It is indeed what Nokia do. The only advice I can give is to not chase the end of the rainbow ;) Choose something that floats your boat and enjoy :)

Ben
4th May 2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah, the N95 is pretty similar to the 8GB. Sure, the 8GB is 'better' if you can live without the memory card slot, but it's not so much better that you'll want it as your handset for the next 18 months from now.

N96 will be a better bet. However, the 3G iPhone will also surface within the next couple of months and all eyes are on that right now.

MORPH
5th May 2008, 08:58 AM
As nice as the iPhone is, I am shying away from O2, fed up with them, going back to Vodafone.

Ben
5th May 2008, 11:37 AM
Oh totally, I'm not sure I'd get an iPhone on O2 myself - Vodafone would be the network to have it on, what with their 3G network and their 500MB inclusive data on new tariffs.

Have you been down to the high street and checked whether any of the current crowd catches your eye?

miffed
5th May 2008, 02:57 PM
I have the N95 atm, so want something along the same lines,

Fortunately you can always rely on Nokia to provide someting along the lines of what you already have , it is a speciality of theirs -
- I am not sure the 8GB is a worthwhile upgrade though ? (Depending on what sort of shape your N95 is in of course ) maybe you'd be better off simply upgrading to v21 or whatever (if you haven't already ! ) and investing in a large Micro SD card ?

stuartturrell
6th May 2008, 08:13 PM
i currently have a N95 and i am also due to upgrade soon, but i hae my sights on a phone already and i have to wait many more months before i can get it :(
Its the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 i am waiting for.
I have my N95 on orange, but i will wait and see what network brings out the best deal for the xperia.
Most likely to go with orange again, unless vodafone boost signal in my area (or vodafone and orange finally merged signals). - in which case, vodafone all the way!

Ben
6th May 2008, 09:06 PM
I think that X1 is going to be a big fat flop... but who knows, maybe SE wont disappoint for once! ;) They certainly need it to be a success, they've definitely lost the art of courting the high end given that they practically invented it with the P910i.

MORPH
7th May 2008, 08:07 AM
Well, I decided to follow Hands0n's advice and go for the N95 8GB.... I know it's not much of an upgrade from my N95, but I'm sure I'll appreciate the differences.

Ben
7th May 2008, 08:49 AM
Good for you! I love mine, it's definitely the best handset I've ever owned - I hope you enjoy it! Come back and let us know what you think?

whatleydude
7th May 2008, 09:19 PM
Well, I decided to follow Hands0n's advice and go for the N95 8GB.... I know it's not much of an upgrade from my N95, but I'm sure I'll appreciate the differences.

Really? I have one and yes it's good, but I miss my N95-1 at times.
I find the 8GB of onboard 'mass' memory slow at times. You can't record video straight to it without the image sticking. You can't store your SMS's on it without s-l-o-w-i-n-g down access... Sync'ing music takes an age.

I'd prefer to have my N95-1 + an 8GB Micro SD that I can hot swap out willy nilly.
:)

Re: The N96. Yes they may very release a 32GB version a few months later. But bear in mind it comes with 16GB onboard AND a micro-SD slot. So it's not like it's not completely upgradable.

Apologies for coming to the table late... My recommendation if you want to upgrade today?

N82.

MORPH
8th May 2008, 01:49 PM
Bit late now lol ;)

MORPH
21st May 2008, 09:33 PM
Well, after a few weeks use, a few things spring to mind. The buttons have a more solid feel to them than the N95 (while pressing buttons on my N95 quite often nothing would happen, till I pressed it harder....software or hardware fault? Anyone else experience this?) as does the slide mechanism.... it just feels a better built phone all around. I was slightly dubious about the smaller keys under the screen, but find them easy to use, in fact I press the wrong key less often than on my old N95....all that is except for the edit/pencil key....it's VERY difficult to hold this whilst using the arrow keys, and then the hot key to copy/paste. But as this is a little used button it's a small price to pay. The screen is very nice, bright and seems clearer than ever, it's also very easy to keep clean, not being reaccessed. I can't say as I miss the lens cover, and I do appreciate the extra saving in size by losing it. The OS is definitely faster thanks to the extra memory, I really appreciate it as I use a third party theme which hogs memory.
However, whilst packing up my N95 for sale, I noticed something.... the model number was listed under the battery as N95-1, and after a quick check on the 8GB sure enough it said N95-2, which leads me to conclude that Nokia were developing and intending to release the 8GB when the N95 was released. It seems to me Nokia really exploited the punters (People like me!) need and desire for new technology by building a phone that they new was flawed yet desirable and had the 'proper' model on the side lines, with slightly better features, and low and behold all the niggles had been fixed. So next time you buy a Nokia, check the model number for 'versions'.....N96 MK1 anyone?

Hands0n
21st May 2008, 09:57 PM
Hi Morph.

The button push problem you mention was common to the N95 in V12 firmware - it wasn't there in V11 - and was a right sod. Then V20 came out and the problem disappeared, along with a whole lot of other buggy stuff in the V1x firmwares.

I've had my hands on an N95 8GB and like you say it does have a rather more substantial feel to it. I like it. But until 2009 I'm saddled with my pair of N95 Classics from Nokia.

You should get a tidy price for your N95 if its in good condition (not like Sir Whatley's) :D if you've ever seen it :eek: There is one here on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nokia-N95-Mobile-Phone-Unlocked-Boxed-as-New_W0QQitemZ220235224652QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3312QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) standing at £175 with 4 mins to go on the auction. I'm amazed that these can still fetch this kind of price.

Don't forget, if you are with Vodafone you can get your N95 unlocked for free just by phoning Customer Services. Ask them to email you the instructions, its much easier that way. And there is a thread on Talk3G where some of us have unlocked our Vodafone kit FOC. Which is nice :)

MORPH
22nd May 2008, 08:38 AM
I put my N95 on ebay a few days ago for £165 'buy it now' and it sold within 20 minutes! As it was from O2 (I've switched back to Vodafone with my 8GB) it was already unlocked.

whatleydude
24th May 2008, 10:59 AM
I keep thinking I'm going to sell my N95-1 but everytime I go to, I find another use for it...

*shrug*

Just can't bear to part with it..

(and it's not *that* beaten up!)

;)