View Full Version : Vodafone Lands iPhone Contract In 10 Countries

Ben
6th May 2008, 10:51 AM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/apple/news/2008/05/06/Vodafone-Lands-iPhone-Contract-In-10-Countries/p1

Here's a turn up for the books first thing on a Monday morning...

Vodafone - with virtually no pomp or ceremony - has very quietly announced it has won the right to sell Apple's hallowed iPhone in no less than ten markets. Customers in Australia, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Greece, Italy, India, Portugal, New Zealand, South Africa and Turkey will all be able to grab it "later in the year".

Is this the first or second generation iPhone we're talking about? Who knows? How much will the handset be? Not a clue. Vodafone has written the skimpiest press release I've laid my eyes on in eight years trawling the industry. In fact, here's the whole thing for you:

Vodafone to Offer Apple's iPhone in Ten Markets

06 May 2008

Vodafone today announced it has signed an agreement with Apple to sell the iPhone in ten of its markets around the globe. Later this year, Vodafone customers in Australia, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Greece, Italy, India, Portugal, New Zealand, South Africa and Turkey will be able to purchase the iPhone for use on the Vodafone network.

For further information:
Vodafone Group
Media Relations
Tel: +44 (0) 1635 664444

Naturally enough I've chased up the Vodafone press office about this and they were cagier than a death row inmate held inside Fort Knox, but for the record it's probably the first gen iPhone given the 3G model isn't likely to hit these markets anytime soon. Expect the price to be fairly ouch-worthy too.

At least we know where all the 8GB and 16GB iPhone stock went...

In related news T-Mobile is alleged to have told German language blog Fscklog.com, "Yes, we plan to bring the iPhone with UMTS-support to market, but can't and are not allowed to say when yet." Seems rather obvious to us given T-Mobile has the iPhone contract for Germany. Ho hum.
Well, got to start somewhere ;) My 3G iPhone is soooo going to be on Vodafone, one way or the other :D