View Full Version : 5 year contract?

MORPH
7th May 2008, 08:11 AM
Since my recent handset contemplating, and my observations over how quick new handsets are released, I was wondering if a network offered say a 5 year contract but with a free upgrade every 6 months, would you go for it?

Ben
7th May 2008, 08:48 AM
I think for me it's more a case of not wanting to be tied down. I don't know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow, yet alone 5 years from now, so I'd much rather keep my commitments short and pay my own way with my handsets.

There's also the environmental factor... encouraging such a rapid device turnover can't be good for ol' mother nature. I think our phones should be lasting longer, as an updatable platform a little like a laptop, rather than becoming obsolete ever faster. I mean damn, the number of Nokia S60's that could have enjoyed software upgrades (as opposed to updates) to keep them current for longer boggles the mind.

miffed
7th May 2008, 12:50 PM
Interesting

Moving over to the fitness industry , we are now selling the majority of our memberships as 3 year contracts - This is proving very successful (despite my initial reservations about commiting to such a long period !) and it has enabled us to sell gym memberships for as little as £12 per month ! - to give some perspective , when I started using the very same gym 15 years ago , I was Paying £35 per month , and considered this a great deal

I would expect an INSANELY good tariff to sign up for this period - none of this "pretty good value" stuff, it would have to be outstanding - Say , Unlimited texts, minutes & Data for £15 pm , PLUS a free top end handset with perhaps an option of a free/ subsidised upgrade handset at mid term

The tariff would need to be so good , as it has to last 5 years !! - look at how far tariffs have come since 2003

I'd consider it ,but make no mistake , they'd have to make it worth my while

MORPH
7th May 2008, 02:00 PM
I'm sure even with such a long contract that the network operators would be able to offer tariff changes throughout the life of the contract, as long as you didn't go under a set minimum monthly charge.

Hands0n
7th May 2008, 07:48 PM
No, I'm having none of that stuff at all. As Mr Horse (Ren and Stimpy) would say "No sir, I don't like it!".

Nothing would possess me to commit myself to a 5-year term. I would need a get-out clause and of course we all know Mobile Network contracts do not contain these. I also think that it would stifle competition. For this to be worthwhile to the mobile network operators it would have to look good on their balance sheet. I don't think giving away handsets and revising tariffs mid-term would be a flyer.

Forum Sceptic :D