View Full Version : 3 Demands Greater Transparency In Mobile Broadband

Ben
17th May 2008, 12:44 AM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-devices/news/2008/05/17/3-Demands-Greater-Transparency-In-Mobile-Broadband/p1

While the press hasn't always been kind to 3, especially in the early days, if there is a more progressive network out there right now I've not see it - and here's yet another reason why...

This week the company held a roundtable to get to the nitty gritty of the mobile broadband sector and has come out of it with a (very sensible) manifesto it wants to see implemented across all mobile networks.

Pointing out that the market is set to double from 1m to 2m users by the end of the year, 3 has outlined some key points it wishes to promote in the sector:

* The broadband landscape at present is confusing for the consumer and 3 would like to clarify this: what is advertised vs. what is achievable vs. what is needed
* A determination to meet advertised delivery speeds, avoiding the pitfall that has troubled fixed line connections
* An educational programme to teach the public about the benefits of mobile broadband (notably convenience) and the conditions which promote an optimum user experience, such as coverage and customer proximity to an HSDPA enabled site (the base station)
* Customer polling reveals availability is more important than raw speed, reflected by 3's determination to rapidly expand coverage as outlined by the illustration above

Perhaps most honourable in all this is 3's determination to see others play by these higher rules. How will they move this forward? At this stage that remains unclear, but it isn't half refreshing to see a network fighting for its customers for a change...
Far more interesting is the accompanying picture, which I haven't seen before...

Hands0n
17th May 2008, 01:30 PM
That network chart is very honest of them. More power to their elbow in that respect. I think that it is very noble and right of 3 to champion the customer in such a manner. And in that I wish them well.

Now, if only 3 can turn that attitude inwards and deal with their truly dreadful Customer Services team in Mumbai. I had thought they were getting better but a work colleague of mine has just been through an experience that echoes that of my three previous assaults upon my wellbeing by 3's CS.

3 have historically, and to this day, had a dreadful customer churn rate and they have [corporately] ignored the very obvious cause, that being their Mumbai CS. In the wake of churn is customer ill-will, and the word of mouth is more powerful than anything else that 3 have to offer. Their legacy of customer negativity will prove to be a big hurdle for 3.

Kevin Russell, 3's CEO, is certainly on the right track and steering 3 UK in a very positive direction. If he can get [3's] Mobile Broadband formula and availability correct then 3 will deservedly obtain a lead in the UK. In that 3 may well take a lead over the other four mobile network operators. But as we all know very well, it is not simply about the technology, speed and availability. I'll stop right there :)