View Full Version : Finally.

Hypnotic
12th May 2005, 01:59 PM
Mine came today :D I'll let you know of any problems i encounter. Btw its on the 3 network.

Jon3G
12th May 2005, 03:57 PM
This will be a long post if its on the 3 network

BTW

Does it have 3 branding on the phone

Hypnotic
12th May 2005, 04:05 PM
Nope. Not one 3 sign on the phone. They give you a nice default wallpaper though ;) So far everything's worked fine, memory card, phone everything. Glad I got this :p

Jon3G
12th May 2005, 05:04 PM
So the handsets are not 3 branded

Hypnotic
12th May 2005, 05:20 PM
No they aint.

3GScottishUser
12th May 2005, 05:41 PM
Not surprising really as they are nowhere to be seen on 3's official UK site.

Looks like a backdoor subsidy deal for the majors. Keeping both the 6630 and 6680 off the 3 site allows 3 UK to insist to independents that the majors have doen deals for these themselves direct with Nokia. They have in a manner of speaking but 3 have obviously tested and approved both and are providing box inserts with network information and contact details.

Obviously the big dealer have squeezed the independents out and 3 UK are supporting those who can deliver volume presently.

Jon3G
12th May 2005, 06:23 PM
It can only be good for 3 to allow them to do it

Ben
12th May 2005, 07:01 PM
Hey,

Great to hear you have a 6680!

When you download and play videos from the Three 'online' area, what application plays them back? Is it RealPlayer? Also, in Tools > Settings > Network Settings I assume 'Network Mode' can no longer be changed to GSM only?

Any other obvious Three customisations you can tell us about would be great.

Cheers
Ben

Hypnotic
12th May 2005, 07:32 PM
As usual they blocked access to other sites.

Downloaded videos are played on realplayer.

Network mode cannot be changed. Dual mode is the only option.

Call waiting isn't supported.

The 2 access points are called '3' and '3 MMS'.

Cannot seem to get any instant messenger connection working. I am not sure if it has been blocked/disabled or if it's because i don't have 3g coverage at my current location. When im in a fully 3g serviced area i'll let you know what happens.

bsrjl1
12th May 2005, 10:42 PM
I'm afraid you won't get any IM working on 3 at all. I didn't notice that they've hidden the Call Waiting menu, strange thing to do. There's also a 3 logo when you start up the phone.

Hypnotic
12th May 2005, 11:00 PM
Theres no 3 logo when i turn my phone on. I just get the word nokia then it comes on. Only thing that said 3 was the wallpaper when i turned it on the first time, and theres a 3 balloo picture. Thats not branding the phone. I think Jon meant is there the number 3 on the actual phone, much like the motorola models.

Jon3G
13th May 2005, 11:17 AM
Theres no 3 logo when i turn my phone on. I just get the word nokia then it comes on. Only thing that said 3 was the wallpaper when i turned it on the first time, and theres a 3 balloo picture. Thats not branding the phone. I think Jon meant is there the number 3 on the actual phone, much like the motorola models.

Yes, thats what I meant. So it does look like this is not a 3 official handset, I wonder if they will give tech support on the handset

bsrjl1
13th May 2005, 01:15 PM
Isn't support through the shop that sold you the phone on these handsets?

Jon3G
13th May 2005, 01:17 PM
The only issue is,

You want the data settings or you need network specific support on the handset but you are miles away from the shop that sold it you. What do you do? Normally you would call CS or are trained to deal with over the phone support and they should resolve the issue

delinquentwoody
13th May 2005, 04:45 PM
Well.... I've given up waiting for the orange release and just ordered one on 3 from e2save!! Basically because it was such a good deal - 11months half price line rental by redemption (=£15 a month for 500 mins and 100 texts) - an annual total of £195 including all my texts and minutes. I don't think I can complain, though I will miss the internet access!!

Only thing is I have to wait upto 3 weeks for them to get stock back in again.. I'll let you know how it is when I (eventually) get it!

Ben
13th May 2005, 04:52 PM
Grats on the purchase, it is indeed a good deal. I'm sure many people will be tempted to purchase the handset on Three from the retailers that seem to have secured stock. Three weeks is a bit of a long wait though!

If I had to go on Three, I'd certainly insist on a 6680 - though to be honest you're going to find it very frustrating not having the open net access.

Hypnotic
13th May 2005, 05:43 PM
You'd think not having the net would be a big problem, but it actually isn't. With the right applications, you would need the internet to keep you entertained. I have many themes, games and applications to hold me interest, and id be happy to share. Just pm me.

Btw Ben, if you can locate the wap settings on your phone using FExplorer, by all means send them to me. The net isn't essential, but it can still be good :D