View Full Version : Dongle Sim into a HSDPA handset.

billabob
31st May 2008, 12:39 PM
Ive got a 3 network £15 pm usb modem, looking to upgrade handset to a Samsung Soul or N95 on contract, is it possible to take the internet sim out of the modem into the phone?? If so what benefit would you see?

Ben
31st May 2008, 04:12 PM
Hi, welcome to Talk3G!

I believe it's possible, yes, but you probably wouldn't want to. The only benefit would be the data allowance, which one assumes you could then use on laptops/PDAs/computers by bluetooth or cabled connection to the handset. AFAIK dongles don't include any call/text/etc allowances, so regular phone usage would be expensive.

3GScottishUser
3rd June 2008, 09:42 PM
This is a strange request but I can confirm that I was unable to use a standard 3 PAYG sim in a PAYG dongle. I wanted to use the credit on the SIM but apparently the ones supplied with dongles are provisoned for such use and ordinary SIMs are not.

All very confusing and I gave up and bought some credit after chasing 3's CS for a few days. Mumbai just had no idea how to solve the issue.

miffed
4th June 2008, 07:16 AM
Thats interesting ! I am happily using a 3 (handset) PAYG SIM in my E220 - it is actually an ex-contract SIM which switched to PAYG at the end of my contract.

I have also used the SIM that came with the Dongle in me E90 (albeit briefly ) but all I did was check "MY 3' and ring CS - I did not even get as far as putting any credit on it,