View Full Version : N95 and N95 8GB Music Library - Track info persists after delete

Hands0n
19th June 2008, 10:30 PM
A good friend of mine, with about as much patience as a very impatient thing, has had a "bit of a larf" with his Nokia N95 and latterly N95 8GB, both of which exhibit the same curious behavior. This relates to how the N95 (both) stores and displays music tracks and albums.

I will let him explain in his own words:

Dude,

Do you remember the problem I was having where I would load moosic onto the old "dog" and it would add loads of other albums..?

Main problem was that I load on an album like Hed Kandi for example, this album is a compilation, so when it goes onto the phone, it creates an album per track for the main album that each track originated from.....Pure blinking [edit] Genius..!!

The N95's own software doesn't support deletion of the album even when you move the song into the correct file by changing the album ref in the "song details" part of the track... More acts of genius.

I completely deleted the music from the phone via Windows explorer and via nokia music transfer etc, still there.

I had a look on a site this morning and found that it is a cacheing bug on the phone where it doesn't delete files from it's cache, these are hidden files. Below is the routine if you have anybody on your site asking the same thing. My phone now works as it should.

I now put choons on the phone but I first go into the properties of each track and under the advanced tab [obviously using Windoze. Ed.] give them all the same album name and ascending track no's.

Once bitten and all that.

If you need to delete all your legacy album folders, this is the fix I found on this same site. You can do this at any time.

1. Enable the option to be able to see Hidden Files and Folders in your Windows Explorer.
2. Connect your n95 8gb to your computer and choose data transfer mode.
3. Go to My Computer >> Nokia Phone Browser >> Nokia N95 8GB >> Memory Card E:
3. If you have selected Show Hidden Files and Folders (see 1) you should see a folder called Private.
4. In the Private folder you need to delete the contents of three folders

\private\101FFC31 (mpxv1.mpd and pcv5.mpd)
\private\101f8857\Cache
\private\101ffca9

In all the 3 folders delete all the files Not the FOLDER

Next time you restart the music player it will rebuild the indexes without the deleted albums folders.

It is so easy when you know how. But for goodness sake Nokia! Did it not occur to you, when building your in-phone music player, that your buying public would actually want to remove music from their phone. By very implication that means that the track and album info would have to go also. To have to perform that convoluted script above is a complete nonsense. What were your sleepy developers thinking of? And why does the problem carry forward from N95 to N95 8GB and, if I were a betting man, the N96 no doubt!

This is simply no way to compete with the likes of the Apple iPhone.

Nokia, listen up, get a grip!

Ben
20th June 2008, 12:14 AM
I've always found the music players on Nokia to be pretty horrible, generally speaking. Sony Ericsson 'Walkman' phones have much, much nicer music players. I.e. I actually put up with using one for a short period of time. Still, no iPod though :D

Insane bug I agree. Thanks to your friend and yourself for putting up a workaround for all to see.

gorilla
24th June 2008, 05:07 PM
I have to say I don't have that problem on my N95. I add / remove music files quite often by just using a memory card reader to transfer files, then in music player I "refresh" the library. I've never used nokia music transfer, never seen the point and now I'm glad I haven't!