View Full Version : Mobile-phone operator 3 reins in laptop downloads abroad

gorilla
6th July 2008, 11:22 AM
In today's Times:

THE mobile-phone operator 3 has banned its customers from downloading data to their laptops while abroad to save them from giant bills when they return from travelling.

The unusual move comes as EU telecoms commissioner Viviane Reding decides in the next two weeks whether to impose legislation to force mobile companies to cut the amount they charge users to “roam” onto their networks overseas. 3, owned by Hong Kong conglomerate Hutchison Whampoa, will only let customers engage in “data roaming” abroad if they specifically ask for it, and even then it will recommend that they impose a £50 credit limit on their accounts.

The move affects several hundred thousand 3 customers with “dongles”, which connect laptops to the internet on the move, but does not cover its phone customers sending text messages.

It is acting before the main holiday season, when phone bills typically soar.

Full article here (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article4276184.ece).

Seems to me to be rather extreme and very protectionist. Surely the next time the mobile operators get together and "fix" prices (oh yeah, that doesn't really happen!) they can come up with affordable roaming charges, say £1 per day or up to a maximum of £x's for the duration of your stay. Surely in this day and age they would make more money on data if more people use the service?

miffed
6th July 2008, 11:27 AM
I can see the sense in it TBH - From the aspect of protecting the customer and their own interests. The double whammy of making the service by request , and then RECOMMENDING a limit (not simply imposing) is very sensible IMO , i that limit can be user defined , then even better

I prefer this approch than the Vodafone approach of sending you a giant bill after the event !

gorilla
6th July 2008, 11:32 AM
I do agree, but I think we need to progress onto cheaper roaming rates. Although, 2 weeks without internet access might be good for the soul.

miffed
6th July 2008, 11:38 AM
LOL - My wife would definately agree with the 2 weeks part :D

...And yes, You are right of course , Prices DO need to come down - I was looking at the symptom rather than the cause !

gorilla
6th July 2008, 11:43 AM
I suspect if HandsOn was separted from the wife for 2 weeks he'd have bought the entire Apple store ;-)

Hands0n
6th July 2008, 01:12 PM
Did someone call? :D

I'll have you know, my good man, that I have been especially good at keeping out of the Apple store of late. Mostly 'cos I have almost one of everything in it, admittedly :D :D :D

I do think 3 are being a bit Draconian, but can also see where they are coming from. The mobile operators have a simple choice to make, in my view. They can either do as 3 and marginalise roaming data even more than previously. Or they can take a leap of faith and reduce data roaming tariffs to rock-bottom and watch their profits soar as the deluge of people use mobile data on their travels.

I do think that, under the cartel that is the GSMA, the mobile operators are being very short-sighted indeed. But then what else can one expect from former state monopolies and their cartel association?

Thank goodness they are being dragged, kicking and screaming all the way, into the 21st century at last. It is long overdue and I have zero sympathy for these dinosaurs.

paulbds
6th July 2008, 06:37 PM
Does this include "Three Like Home" data usage I wonder or does it apply to Non 3 networks?

3GScottishUser
8th July 2008, 06:35 AM
No doubt prices will fall for data roaming but for now 3 have to be applauded for taking this rather extreme measure to protect their customers form excessive charges. I suspect they are also being careful to protect themselves from the negative publicity that daft data roaming pricing has already attracted.

I have been travelling over the last few weeks and have found the reach of Wi-Fi coverage has been rising. Its no longer restricted to coffee shops, airports and 5 star hotels. Its now easy to use Wi-Fi in most of Europe and that makes 3G data roaming unnecessary. Its a shame the UK does not have the same Wi-Fi coverage as other European countries, if we had the popularity of the 3G 'dongle' might not have been as successful.

solo12002
8th July 2008, 08:04 AM
"I have been travelling over the last few weeks and have found the reach of Wi-Fi coverage has been rising"

Thats good to hear and with the increase of Wi - Fi on mobiles many of use are using it, two things alarm me are, its amazing how many pepole dont have security on their networks,at home I can see 5 networks in my street that have no security at all comming up on my mobile phone.

I teach IT and other subjects in the NHS and I was able to show a group this in my class this two weeks ago when using Trust IT systems, we were able to spot three with no security at all from homes close by, Clealry I hightlighted it was illeagl to use networks in this way etc.

The second thing is I agree three restricting data roaming, however, I think they need to inform their users, so far I have not been, secondly I think they need to make it clear on their web site, I still cant find it.

Thirdly Its easy to block roaming, I think it would of been a better step if three cut the price, they have the best roaming rates for calls as it is and this may of lead the way for others to of followed.

Ben
8th July 2008, 10:48 AM
It has been the case in the past on certain networks that unless you called up to enable 'roaming' before you left for your holidays you couldn't even use your mobile phone to make calls!

Obviously things have since changed. However, with data prices as they are it seems like common sense to me that the customer should have to specifically request the roaming functionality and, at the same time, they should then be made aware of the exact charges.

Bills should indicate whether roaming capability is on or off.