View Full Version : 3's Christmas Lineup

getti
21st July 2008, 10:59 PM
Been a while since i posted about 3 but today they had a press event in london with these being the highlights

3 will be selling HP laptops for a monthly rental (with USB dongle)

3 has a new dongle with microSD card slot, so you can use it as a flash drive

3 is trialling a range of routers for mobile broadband, including a Huawei one that is made for their new dongle - and it looks very sleek. It's small and the dongle can 'fold' inside.

3 will have the black and white versions of the Nokia E71 (white being exclusive to 3).

3 will be releasing the BlackBerry Bold as its first BlackBerry.

3 will also be releasing the Tocco and N96, plus the Sony Ericsson X1 (and they had a working model there too!).

3 is increasing the data allowance on mobile broadband on contract, so 30 quid now gets you 30GB a month instead of 25 quid for 15GB.

3 has got a new Skype phone that now has a 3.2megapixel camera, Facebook application and a higher res screen (QVGA I think, but didn't check).

3 will be offering free email on their 2.50 per month data bundle. For use with Hotmail, Google Mail etc it will offer unlimited email access and not come out of the 10MB limit.

3 will introduce a new service around November that reformats websites for the small screen, presumably through a proxy, so any existing browser on even older 3 handsets will display web pages better. Not quite as good as Opera Mini or Safari etc, but good because everyone will get it - including those who wouldn't know how to change or configure a browser.

gorilla
21st July 2008, 11:34 PM
looks good, shame I left three for O2, although I'm getting used to edge and the iPhone is a big draw. I think we'll see the rest of the networks release some good offers in time for Xmas

Ginz
22nd July 2008, 07:25 AM
Can you tell me more about the reformatting pages for small screens or should I just ask Jon Morris instead as I presume this is where the info is from.

getti
22nd July 2008, 08:16 AM
It is his info but i know what your talking about. It was being tested when I worked for the company and in fact i was 1 of the testers for it.

Its called Transcoding and is where 3 take the full webpage, break it into sections and shows on the screen so no sideways browsing its all up and down but you do get the full webpage not a cut down version

Ben
22nd July 2008, 10:18 AM
I think Vodafone have been doing the reformatting thing for a while now. Seems like a sensible enough idea, so long as it doesn't affect people with half decent phones.

getti
22nd July 2008, 11:43 AM
im blown away with the 30GB for £30 modem offer!

3GScottishUser
23rd July 2008, 09:23 PM
im blown away with the 30GB for £30 modem offer!

They may try and pitch this to compete with wired broadband services but my experience with 3's mobile broadband would not tempt me for all the tea in China!

30GB for a heavy mobile userr might be a good idea but its doubtfull many could use this on a laptop monthly.

Mobile Broadband has been a good success for 3 and others but I suspect its being bought maily for occasional use and even at the new lower prices it cannot compete with packages like TalkTalk and Sky who provide faster access at much cheaper prices.