View Full Version : Opinions Please!

chaslam
16th May 2005, 08:57 PM
Hey people,

After reading the 6680 review from Ben and reasearching it at bit, I have decided that I really like the 6680.. I need opinions on it. I really like it and am seriously considering getting one (well swapping one for my A1000 or selling A1000 and getting one of ebay.). What do people think of it? What about compared to the A1000? What would you do if you were in my situation? This would be a big change for me as all of the 3G phones I have had in the past have been moto. I am also thinking about holding off a little longer and seeing what else comes onto the market. My contact finishes at Christmas but like many other people, I get board of phones quickly.

Thanks for you help,

chaslam

Jon3G
16th May 2005, 09:24 PM
My contract is up in a few months , so I going for a 6680 and downgrading my tarriff. All in all I will pay the same as I am paying now with 2 contracts. In your case wait till Christmas, more phones will come and the 6680 will be old then and something better will come

Ben
16th May 2005, 10:03 PM
Ok, so the A1000 and 6680 are very different phones from very different manufacturers. All I can tell you is that I love my 6680 and that I think if everyone had one their impressions of 3G as a technology would be far better.

However, I can't comment on what having a 6680 without open internet access would be like. As I posted earlier, I somehow racked up 56mb of data usage since getting the 6680 - thats a lot of connectivity you'd be missing out on if you're staying with Three.

chaslam
16th May 2005, 10:07 PM
Yes I know. To be honest I am not really that concered with internet access, but I have to admit I would like it. I have to say that when I upgrade to a new phone I will probably go with orange or vodafone, as I just want a change from 3.

miffed
17th May 2005, 01:49 PM
I'd say go for the 6680

I am/was a fan of the a1000 , as I was with all the uix phones , but there was just something not quite slick enough about it (I think the uix interface should have been a bit more"decorated" instead of being virtually the same as the previous two models - I realise there is only so much you can do with the uix platform , but it was too similar to the two previous models to excite me - Had I not had the 920 & 925 I'd have been a whole lot more impressed )
Not , by any means saying that the a1000 is a bad phone , but , for the reasons above I was not bothered about getting rid of mine

And if it's replacement is to be 3G , then 6680 is your best option IMO

So I voted "get the 6680" - as if i were in your position, that is exactly what I'd do

ads
17th May 2005, 03:23 PM
I would probably wait a little longer until the 6680 has been properly released on other networks, but I am in the same position as you and I am unsure myself!!

Hypnotic
17th May 2005, 06:12 PM
If you are in the UK its already out on vodafone and 3, the best networks for 3g phones. If you want to get this phone on any other network besides these you may as well get the 6681, as the 6680 works best on those 2 networks.

Ben
17th May 2005, 07:00 PM
If you are in the UK its already out on vodafone and 3, the best networks for 3g phones. If you want to get this phone on any other network besides these you may as well get the 6681, as the 6680 works best on those 2 networks.
I contest that. Orange 3G has far wider coverage than Vodafone 3G and Orange World is an extremely good portal. Orange's 3G services are also much much fairer priced than Vodafones.

Waiting for the handset on Orange would not be a bad idea.

That said, the music downloads are better on Vodafone. That's about the only real advantage I have found.

Hypnotic
17th May 2005, 07:31 PM
Oooooooo forgot about orange. Yes their news coverage owns as well, like watching tv on your phone. When i made that post i was thinking more of T-Mobile, O2, Virgin etc. Orange seems to have slipped my mind.

Jon3G
18th May 2005, 09:31 AM
I contest that. Orange 3G has far wider coverage than Vodafone 3G and Orange World is an extremely good portal. Orange's 3G services are also much much fairer priced than Vodafones.

Waiting for the handset on Orange would not be a bad idea.

That said, the music downloads are better on Vodafone. That's about the only real advantage I have found.

I contest that about Orange

Vodafone live is free to view - unlike Orange (but you do get the free MB on Orange), The prices are very much the same and the film club on Voda is better.

Everyone is ok to have their own views,

At the moment I beleive all 3G services are on the same playing field and its going to take something special to finally stand out

3g-g
18th May 2005, 03:27 PM
Those points are very valid Jon3G, but I think the thing Ben was trying to point out is that Orange has greater 3G coverage in terms of population and geographical coverage than Vodafone do. If chaslam is going to invest in a 6680 he'll want to put it to good use, i.e. the extra services that the handset can provide, video calling, PTT, higher data rates etc. If Orange have a larger 3G footprint then it could make their network the more attractive option for getting to use those services in more places.

At the end of the day, if Voda/3/Orange all have similar coverage in the places you're going to be in the most you open yourself up for more questions before choosing the network... cost, CS, internet and so on.

Jon3G
18th May 2005, 05:40 PM
Those points are very valid Jon3G, but I think the thing Ben was trying to point out is that Orange has greater 3G coverage in terms of population and geographical coverage than Vodafone do. If chaslam is going to invest in a 6680 he'll want to put it to good use, i.e. the extra services that the handset can provide, video calling, PTT, higher data rates etc. If Orange have a larger 3G footprint then it could make their network the more attractive option for getting to use those services in more places.

At the end of the day, if Voda/3/Orange all have similar coverage in the places you're going to be in the most you open yourself up for more questions before choosing the network... cost, CS, internet and so on.

DOnt get me wrong, I want to go back to ORange when my contract ups, I was only pointing out that the prices were comparable