View Full Version : 3 first with 3G Adverts on handsets

3GScottishUser
18th May 2005, 10:03 AM
From BBCi (18/05/2005):

The first advertisement to be displayed on a UK 3G mobile phone network will appear this month, in what the industry hopes could be a new source of revenue.
Mobile phone network 3 has struck a deal enabling 100,000 3G customers to download a movie trailer for free.

Handset owners previously had to pay for film clips, and the deal marks the first time that an advertiser has bought space on a UK 3G network.

3G firms are desperate for ways to recoup their vast outlay on licences.

But analysts are divided as to how lucrative selling adverts could be for phone companies.

Some argue that 3G phones offer a small market for advertisers compared with mass mediums such as television, radio and newspapers but others say these adverts will be targeted and cost-effective.

Big battle

Flytxt, the marketing company which did the deal with 3 in conjunction with RedBus Film Distribution, said there was potential for 3G advertising to become a lucrative source of revenue for network operators, as it had become in Japan.

"There will be a big battle among advertisers to own the [3G] handset," said Flytxt's director of corporate development Pamir Gelenbe.

"It is a piece of real estate that people will have with them 24 hours a day and which advertisers will want their brands to be on."

It [video] is something unique which the 3G operators bring to the party as a channel for advertising

John Delaney, Ovum

Vodafone, the UK's leading mobile phone operator, said it was watching developments closely but was making no "firm commitments" about advertising on its 3G network.

It said its users were currently more interested in appealing content.

Limited prospects?

Analysts cautioned that 3G's prospects as a advertising medium could be limited by the fact that users - unlike TV viewers - could opt not to be exposed to adverts.

Many consumers were also highly skilled in shutting out anything remotely resembling span, it warned.

"The unique selling point of 3G is video as it is something unique which the 3G operators bring to the party as a channel for advertising," said John Delaney, analyst at telecommunications consultancy Ovum.

"Movie clips are a special service that people want to receive, however. If it was just washing powder, it may be a different story."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4556833.stm

Ben
18th May 2005, 09:01 PM
I certainly don't want advertising supported content, but then I'm a BBC-typa-guy who likes his news/info/entertainment to be smut/spam/ad free. Advertising does have a place though, and if that place is Three then that's just fine by me just as long as I don't have to put up with it personally.

delinquentwoody
18th May 2005, 09:07 PM
If it's just a link on Today on 3 which i imagine it would be, that wouldn't bother me as it would be entirely up to you if you want to watch the trailer or not.

In a way I think this would be better (for us!) than say TV advertising as you have no choice in watching these adverts.

solo12002
18th May 2005, 10:37 PM
Oh God.

First the hot sell by phone. Then E Mail,, followed by Text and now the B's are going to send them to your Mobile, I wonder if theres a get out for users.

I for one dont want it, and I think the networks have a cheek, I pay them for line rental and calls for for spam videos, texts or E mails.

3g-g
18th May 2005, 10:40 PM
I can see this being the begining of the end. Have you ever seen the film "minority report" where as people walk past advertising boards they are personalised to the individual? Using your name etc. This'll be the way things start to progress with personalised advertising, you'll take out a contract and have to fill in a questionaire resulting in targeted adverts to what you've specified. Either that or your browser/download history will be available to advertising companies and adverts will be placed on the back of your habbits.

I can see it getting to the point that the devices that you carry about with you will connect with various other things without your knowledge. For example, the Bluetooth chip and memory in your handset will connect to (just to stay on the subject) advertising/shop fronts etc informing them of your shopping likes/dislikes and as such you'd receive a text message telling you that there's a sale in the shop you've just walked past. It's only a matter of time, and it's something that'd be very easy to implement, it just takes more inter-connectivity between devices, and with the UK having more mobiles than people now it can't be far away.

Hands0n
19th May 2005, 12:05 AM
Possibly the end of life as we know it, but not The End :)

I, for one, have no problem with receiving film trailers on my handset - it'll be a bit of light relief in the daily drudge that we call life in the 22nd century! But, for sure, there has to be an opt-out mechanism, even if it is free to the point of delivery (thats you and me in plainspeak). If not, then pressure will have to be put on to OFCOM to make the mobile ops allow us an opt-out as we have for the other telephony-based methods of communications (i.e. TPS) which works very well.

I do not equate the mobile handset (3G or otherwise) to the TV. These are different mediums entirely, and with different core purposes. The TV is an entertainment and information delivery mechanism and it is completely understood and acceptable for advertising and other content to be transmitted to us there. The mobile Phone handset (purposeful use of capital P) is, at its most basic, a telephone. 3G enhancements should not change the core nature of the instrument. Who, after all, buys a 3G handset for content only, eschewing the telephony and messaging functions completely?

I am completely sure that dramatic mistakes will be made - even making the current reverse billed SMS and ringtones debacle look like a tea party! But this is a fault of inappropriate prior regulation and enforcement. The industries cannot be trusted to police themselves. They have demonstrated a complete ineptitude in that particular department. I firmly believe that all Push content (chargeable or free) should have a user opt out mechanism - required by UK law at all times. We, the Customer, must retain the ultimate sanction.

Vote for me at the next General Election :) :) :)