View Full Version : The O2 X4 3G phone

Ben
31st March 2005, 05:02 PM
http://shop.o2.co.uk/cgi-bin/o2uk/jsp/handset/ViewHandset.do?menu=y&prodID=consumer:O2:X4:3G:GROUP

This actually looks to be quite a high spec phone that O2 have unleashed as one of their flagship 3G handsets. Like the signature series from Orange, the O2 X series is branded as O2's own.

The X4 features a 1.3 megapixel camera and a 262k colour screen - and it's free on pay monthly.

Do you have this phone? If so, please let us know how you're finding it!

Thanks,
Ben

miffed
31st March 2005, 07:10 PM
Does look nice ! but not nice enough to tempt me

Should a 3G XDA come along , then I may be tempted , but not one like the T-mobile 3G mda as they look revolting !

I still have my money on o2 for long term 3G "usefulness"

Jon3G
1st April 2005, 07:13 PM
I have a XDA 2 i and I find it very useful just wished I had 3G power, but saying that I can hock it upto my 6630 on voda

miffed
2nd April 2005, 08:44 AM
I have a XDA 2 i and I find it very useful just wished I had 3G power, but saying that I can hock it upto my 6630 on voda

I do agree , but to be honest I find GPRS on o2 at least AS fast as Three's 3G service , I know it isn't supposed to be - but at the end of the day - it is !

Ben
2nd April 2005, 05:55 PM
The thing about 3G at the moment is the latency. It's hoped that HSDPA will greatly improve this, but at the moment browsing WAP sized pages over 2.5G GPRS will often be far quicker than doing so over 3G. Browse some websites with a lot of images and you should see the 2G/3G difference as 3G will be far quicker at transferring larger amounts of data, but the fact remains that most PDA and Mobile sites are optimized for GPRS and so 3G alone offers little improvement.

getti
24th April 2005, 10:44 PM
I thought about getting a X4 on PAYG as O2 are selling them for £199.99. Seems like a good price for a phone with a 262,000 screen and a 1.3 megapixel camera.

Problem is no video calling. Also remember that phones such as the 6630 and X4 wont be able to get the 1mb rate when HSPDA comes out.

Only new phones that have that hardware can use it and there are none yet. I will be interested to see which i-mode phones come out though