View Full Version : ..and MMS still sucks!

Ben
18th May 2005, 08:02 PM
Lets face it - since it's inception MMS has faced a lot of challenges. It would appear that the least of these challenges is actually getting people to use something that is far more complicated than a text. The hardest challenge, it would seem, has been getting the bloomin' things to actually work.

Last year the O2 boss mentioned that MMS had previously been subject to technical issues with delivery, but these days things are different. If only they were.

I appreciate how complicated MMS must be for networks and handset manufacturers, but I was using MMS earlier and it took 10-15 minutes for a 10kb image to make it from one handset to another on the same network! Xnet MMS regularly take longer, and I've had some MMS messages go astray altogether.

At ~25p a pop, and with 3G now expanding, is there any excuse for poor MMS performance?

@NickyColman
18th May 2005, 08:49 PM
There is no excuse at all!! MMS has been around since 01/02 (i think) and it has never been reliable! MMS' never seem to arrive or on time! i cant see what is holding the networks back?! I think they should cut the price of MMS's and attempt to increase their reliabilty!

Ben
18th May 2005, 08:59 PM
Totally - I've sent jamoodles of them over the last month and they're just tish! Why should anyone have to pay so much money for something a) so small and b) so unreliable?

I'm also still sore about Orange's 100k limit, but perhaps it's for the best of it takes them 10-15 minutes to deliver a ~10k picture message. I've been having quite a good ride with O's core services lately, but the advanced stuff just isn't as up to scratch as I thought it was. The 6680 makes all this advanced functionality so easy to use - I want to use it!

getti
18th May 2005, 09:24 PM
I will HOPEFULLY have a 6680 on Monday and I get £10 a month of ANY messaging free. Will have to test Video Messaging out

Hands0n
18th May 2005, 11:52 PM
There's strange Ben. I rarely if ever have troubles with MMS, on or X-net! For sure I have had a few go nowhere, even on same net. I don't find Orange at all slow for MMS generally, by that I mean pictures, not video generally. I'm using an SPV C-500 on Orange.

On Three I find a similar story, both for on and X-net. Generally, the messages get delivered, even video - although I sent a video MMS last week to two Three numbers, one got it, the other didn't. Both got charged for out of my allowance, bar stewards!

I do, like you, find MMS fiddlesome and tiresome to manage. It is not quite as simple as it could/should be, although the E1000 does make it more of a snap than the SPV C-500 or my older (!) SE T610 does/did, so I suppose the mechanics of generating and sending MMS is improving somewhat. It does need to get better/easier to manage though otherwise public acceptance will always be reluctant.

MMS is way over priced and, like videocalling, needs to come down to make it attractive to people and thus generate usage. Us Brits do seem to like to charge a premium rather than sell it wholesale!!