View Full Version : The dangers of unsafe Cex

miffed
17th September 2008, 05:56 PM
I used to move my old handsets via eBay , worked very well for a while , but it was getting to the point that virtually every other auction would result in some kind of headache , Fortunately I am quite aware of most scams etc. but the problem is , While you are fully aware you are being scammed , eBay like to give obvious scammers the "benefit of the doubt" - and you end up out of pocket or inconvenienced while the mess around with their "procedures" - I was once living in fear of a "chargeback" which worried me so much I actually closed the bank account that the paypal account was linked to - I then opened a new Paypal account , but this is not linked to my bank , and I don't intend ever doing so - so basically , I cannot accept payment via paypal , which means I can not (effectively) sell on ebay any more !

So ...... I decided to give CEX a go to clear my backlog of handsets !

http://www.cex.co.uk

They offered £187 for my unlocked , mint condition T-mobile Ameo
... Which I thought was OK for a hassle free sale - so I set up an account , made the (provisional) sale , Packaged up the Ameo (after reflashing back to original firmware ) and posted it off

The following day , I checked on the tracking site and it had arrived - CEX's site reported they had received the goods , the order was complete and payment had been despatched.

This morning , I answered the door to the postman (expecting to be signing for an envelope containing a cheque and found myself signing for my Ameo !
I opened the box , there was no paperwork , no explanation - and lots of the packaging (mainly plastic bags , screen protector etc ) were missing

I mailed CEX , and received this reply

Dear Customer,

Your item was tested and it was found that the joystick is not functioning properly. Thank you.

Regards,

Darren Sharples

I had a look at my (formerly perfect) Ameo , and sure enough - not only was the joystick damaged , but there are two marks on casing around it ... Now I am ABSOLUTELY 100% CERTAIN that these marks WERE NOT there when I packaged it up - also ,the Joystick was working perfectly (I know this , as I said I reflashed the firmware before sending it ) I has obviously had some kind of mishap at CEX , (BTW the packaging was not affected , so I am pretty sure it was not done in transit

Robbing gits !!

So I am now £10 down from the postage , my phone is damaged and some of the original packaging is missing

My advice to anyone thinking of using this company is simple - DON'T !!

Ben
17th September 2008, 06:03 PM
Wow. Is it definitely your phone that they sent you?

***kers.

miffed
17th September 2008, 06:36 PM
Yes , pretty sure it is mine , IMEI matches up OK

I called them "robbing gits" but I honestly can't see how they benefit from messing me around like this ! - My guess is that this Darren guy (or one of his collegues ) dropped it or something :(
I know I was going to sell it to a stranger , but I am quite saddened by the fact that I treated like a baby in the year+ or so I've had it , then this numpty destroys it in a split second ! Poor Ameo :mad:

hecatae
19th September 2008, 07:50 PM
my local cex are a bunch of thieves, they were okay two years ago, but have gone way downhill since then.