View Full Version : T-Mobile Mobile Data - PAYG just got better

Hands0n
21st September 2008, 09:53 AM
T-Mobile have recently made significant changes to its PAYG Mobile Broadband propositions, offering Daily, Weekly and 30-Day no-term packages priced at: £2 for 1 day, £10 for 7 days and £20 for 30 days. According to T-Mobile's website all offerings include 3GB Fair Use mobile data, without any run-on rates (Vodafone take note!)

The flexibility of the approach is unparallelled. To access T-Mobile pre-pay mobile broadband, customers need to purchase a Mobile Broadband USB Stick 110 for £50 and plug it into a laptop. Credit can be topped up direct from the laptop and customers are able to select whichever package suits them at the time.

Full details of the new plans are on T-Mobile's website at this URL http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/pay-per-day-options/

The £49.99 USB Stick is a very capable device, accepting micro-SD memory up to 8GB and so doubling up as a memory stick. Technical details of the T-Mobile USB stick are at this link http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/laptop/pay-monthly/t-mobile/usb-stick-110/overview/

They do not say whether it is HSPA or not, but given T-Mobile's own network I would think it unlikely that they'd offer a basic 3G-only device.

This offering from T-Mobile breaks ground in the same way that its Web N Walk did a few years back. Occasional users now have a way of grabbing a slice of mobile data as and when they need it, rather than pay out continuously for something that they might not need on such terms.

T-Mobile themselves say:

Try Mobile Broadband daily and keep your options open…

* Only need to log on for the odd day? Simply plug in your Mobile Broadband stick and start surfing for only £2 per day.
* Need Mobile Broadband for a week at a time? Text '7 DAY' to 441 for free and we'll add it straight away.
* Need Mobile Broadband for 30 days? Text '30 DAY' to 441, for free to get yours.

We'll send you a text back to confirm that you can start surfing. We'll also let you know when it will expire, so don't forget to check your inbox.

So what are you waiting for now?

3GScottishUser
21st September 2008, 08:49 PM
Still not that cheap though if you look at 3's tariffs and they now share the same network!

I doubt if T-Mobile will make much headway with this deal.

Dongle sales are now probably being driven by laptop/mini-laptop inclusive deals.

Hands0n
21st September 2008, 09:03 PM
I do think that the completely ad-hoc nature of this offer will appeal the most. There are times when my £15pcm 3GB Vodafone mobile broadband does not get used at all for weeks on end. Then a surge when it does. An ad-hoc offering like this would more than likely be cheaper, for me, than paying a fixed rate for a service whether or not I use it.

I cannot compare T-Mobile to 3 simply because I would not countenance using 3 ever again. Well, not until I read in the papers that they've abandoned their off-shore CS operation in favour of a UK-based one. Then I would give them another try in a blink.

But that is another topic altogether :D

getti
21st September 2008, 11:21 PM
The new modems are 'Mobile Broadband 110' devices and run at a max of 3.6mb and do not have HSUPA.

The new modem will be on PAYG and features a new technology to help boost signal in locations where coverage is not that good.

Il get some snaps of the new modem when im back to work tomorrow. The reason HSUPA and 7.2 HSDPA was left out i think was to leave it to the high end contract modem.

Considering you can get 3Gb for £20 a month on PAYG or a rolling 30 day contract and not be stung with a charge if you go over is great.

Plus the MUCH easier way of topping up. No buying a voucher and having to log onto a webpage to enter your modem number which you dont always have to hand. just use the swipe card that comes in the PAYG box and your topped up

Hands0n
21st September 2008, 11:27 PM
I'll seriously consider something like this when my Vodafone Mobile Broadband contract is up. But I also expect the competition to be competing too ....!