View Full Version : T-Mobile E170 Modem Review

getti
24th September 2008, 09:34 AM
The team at Brands2Life were kind enough to lend me a USB Modem Stick E170 for my trip to Centreparcs in Nottingham recently as the only condition was I write a review on my experiance

The Design

The E170 stick is T-Mobile's branded version of what both 3 and Vodafone also offer and being typical T-Mobile they have used the brand colours of mainly black with a magenta tip on the end so it stands out.

In the box you get the USB Stick, Cable to extend the range if needed, a pink lanyard if you want to take the modem with you, a nice handy laptop stand which the modem sits in and then on the back of your laptop so its not getting in the way (a great free addition to the box) and the usual CD and manuals. The SIM card comes seperate from T-Mobile and you have to slide out the little tray once you take the lid off and insert the SIM card.

Installing

Installing is a breeze as all the software you need is on the stick itself. Once you plug it in within a few seconds a install screen comes up where you just hit 'Next' a few times and it installs itself.

Once this has completed a icon on the desktop which looks like your modem appears which you double click and you get the main desktop window (see attached photo)

The Software

Once the software is loaded and running you get the screen as seen in the photo attached. From a software point of view it really is well done and you have a wide range of options from tracking your Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Yearly use of modem data, your maximum speed is also shown and you get a huge graph so you can see during your connection just how fast it runs at. You get a tab for a phone book so you can keep all your contacts with you on your laptop (great incase you loose your phone) and although you cant call from this modem you CAN send texts which is another tab.

Texts are not included on price plans for the modem and are charged as extra but its a handy thing too have as you can also receive texts on it too. When on holiday i put in my staff sim which gets free data and not only was i browsing the net but sending and receiveing texts all from my laptop.

Speed / Reliability

Speed is different for everyone as it depends on a wide range of things like what speed the mast can run at, how many people are using it, how far you are from it, what the weather is like and so on. I will go from my experiance which is not a normal one as I was in Sherwood Forrest in Centreparcs as I said at the start of the review. So imagine my suprise when I plugged in the modem in my room and up came 3/4 bars of HSDPA signal!. At its peak i managed to hit 1.6mb/s which again considering my location I was more than impressed with!. I also had use of a Vodafone modem but that only had GPRS and was slower than dial-up so never got a look in.

Most of T-Mobile's sites now have HSUPA on so not only do you get high speed downloading of things like music tracks but you also get high speed uploading so you can put videos on YouTube faster of if you run your own site you can use FTP with much faster speeds.

As far as being reliable is concerned that is not an issue at all. i had no cut outs, signal was spot on and speeds were very consistant which when I compare to using a 3 modem which can connet at 1.5mb/s one second and then the next 0.3mb/s theirs was very hit and miss where as the E170 kept a great connection through every browsing session.

Conclusion

The experiance whilst using the modem was top class from installing to browsing at high speeds. This was a press loan so was free for my trial but the deals available to customers are very well priced too.

Mobile Broadband 12/18 Months @ £20.00 a Month
Mobile Broadband 24 @ £15 a Month

In both cases the modem is free and when you also consider the modem can run at 7.2mb/s once the masts support it you are pretty much future proof for the next 1/2 years with speeds.

paulbds
28th September 2008, 11:35 PM
Bought 2 of these for self and a colleague.
Bought £10 credit. No Connection. phoned customer suppport only to be advised that the phone numbers issued were cancelled numbers. Bought direct from T-Mob and advised to return from the shop I bought them from - -ha ha, bought over the phone direct from T Mob
Worse purchase this year as far as I am concerned
Sorry, but after a smooth experience with 3 these are useless. I bought them for marginal signal useage where 3 signal not always available and could use gprs signal.
anyone else had similar problem?

miffed
29th September 2008, 07:40 AM
Personally I have found T-mobile to be practically flawless in terms of products and CS. ...I really can't fault them

But a bad experience is a bad experience - What was the result when you told CS you bought online ? - Surely it should simply be a case of sending you new SIM's ?

Hands0n
29th September 2008, 10:41 PM
T-Mobile could quite easily have issued new mobile numbers to be assigned to the SIM's ESSID (that huge number printed on each SIM). They could have done the deed over the phone!

A couple of years back Vodafone made a bit of a cock up with issuing me with two mobile network numbers. For some reason the number/ESSID was exchanged - didn't match the USIMs. About ten minutes on the phone, explaining the problem, and a few keystrokes on their workstation saw the matching phone number/ESSID established. Job done.

So, it can be done. But as always we find that the experience is directly proportional to the skill and understanding of the CS that you make contact with. To share another anecdote (again Vodafone, I'm not picking on them); my Mrs contract came up for renewal a couple of months ago. The first CS she spoke with wanted £40 for the new handset and a 24-month contract. I helped her and we declined, made a cup of tea and called back. This time the CS understood exactly what was wanted, arranged for a new handset free of charge, the same 18 month contract and tariff terms, job done. The first experience was terrible, the second 100% spot on.

My advice to paulbds at the time would be to hang up, dial again and speak with someone else. It may take a call or two but you'll find someone who can understand the issue and resolve it for you.

paulbds
30th September 2008, 09:58 PM
Went to T Mobile local shop and the very helpful staff in Llandudno gave me a couple of new sims and these now work. Have written to T Mob customer support and requested compo for time wasted on phone (they don't of course know about the new sims)
Can't really complain as this week, i bought a iphone from a work colleague (same colleague I bought the usb mobile bb card for) and the guy in 02 shop (again Llandudno) gave me a 3G PAYG sim card for the old phone. £10 quid top up and free wifi and internet for next 12 months. Yes the 3G sim works in the 1st gen iphone
You win some and you lose some

paul

Hands0n
30th September 2008, 10:12 PM
Hey nice one paulbds - what a nice result at T-Mobile then :) It really is down to who you speak with, huh? Excellent.

O2 are also doing some smashing stuff with their 30-day SIM called Simplicity 25. It offers 600 mins and Unlimited texts for £20 (special offer extended until October, then its back up to £25). And for another £7.50 per month you can Bolt On unlimited Web. So for £27.50 you've got a rather hot 30-day no contract SIM-only deal for that iPhone if you ever need it.