View Full Version : 'Missed Calls' on Orange 3G - Workaround

Ben
30th March 2005, 02:37 PM
Some users have reported that when using the Orange 3G service they have received 'missed call' alerts (a free SMS based service from Orange) when, infact, the phone never rang out in the first place. Delays on receiving text messages and then having a load come through at once is another symptom of this problem.

While Orange are working on resolving the issue, as far as I am aware there is no official advice other than putting your 3G SIM card into a standard GSM phone. Now, none of us want to do that, so here's my workaround.

First, a description of the problem. When an Orange 3G handset has been left idle for a certain amount of time, speculated to be 30 minutes, the network 'loses' it. So, when a call or text comes in, the network doesn't acknowledge the handset as being online, even though the handset displays signal.

The workaround to the problem is simply anything that will keep your phone active. Most handsets have an option to automatically check your email every 30 minutes, and providing you have a sizable data bundle to cover the extra data used, it works like a treat. If you regularly receive text messages or already have email downloading set up then you may have had no idea the problem existed.

Here's how to set up your Orange.net email account on your phone. It's pretty easy to do, either via Orange World or http://setup.orange.co.uk/ (if you haven't registered for Orange's online services do so here: http://www.orange.co.uk/emailandorganise/ )

Now, set your phone to check your Orange.net account every 30 minutes. This will use a little bit of data each time... so make sure you don't get a lot of SPAM! If your mailbox is usually empty it should be harmless enough. You may wish to call Orange after a few days to check your usage hasn't rocketed. The setting you need is usually in the settings for that specific email account - on my Z1010 I can access it by going into the Messages > Email section and going to Settings.

All done - your phone will connect to the net every 30 minutes, keeping you active on the network and, hopefully, temporarily solving your problem.

Checking your email in this fashion transmits and receives a small amount of data each time. Providing your Orange.net mailbox is empty, this shouldn't add much to your data usage. Don't employ this method if you don't have free data included by Orange with your 3G purchase. You are responsible for how much data you transmit and receive and so checking your data usage with 350 after a few days is the responsible thing to do. If you do choose to do this, it will stop you having missed calls!

I hope you have found the above information helpful. Please post any comments and/or questions below.

Skyblue
9th April 2005, 08:29 PM
This may be a bit of a contradiction, but I've had the missed call alert, even if my phone has been used (for a call) a few minutes previous. Maybe the network can lose phones quicker sometimes? I'll have to test it further sometime, see what happens. Pleased to say it doesn't happen very often!

Ben
9th April 2005, 08:33 PM
If you're on the phone when someone tries to call but they don't leave a message, or your phone is out of service for some other reason, then I believe you will get the text message alert just to let you know of that. You might find that this was the reason for your missed call alert.

It'd be good if you could find out a bit more - it'd be very annoying if phones are dropping off the network faster. If it was related to this 3G issue it could be a localised problem of course. I've still not had another missed call here.

Skyblue
9th April 2005, 08:37 PM
It was definately after the call. My mate did it, he was in the same room (I don't know why, but he like to see which ringtone I've got on!) then it doesn't ring. Strange. I'll see what the signal's like at his house too, maybe that could affect it, I think it's quite strong, unless it's flicking between 2g-3g.