View Full Version : Nokia 'Tube' Now Official

getti
2nd October 2008, 07:12 PM
Nokia have today announced the Nokia XpressMusic device aka Tube and will go on sale this Q4 for around £215 sim free and next year a 'Comes With Music' version available so free music for users.

Specs include a 3.2 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss Optics, VGA quality video recording, 3G/HSDPA, A-GPS with Nokia Maps and has a 360 x 640 pixel screen.

Gimme Gimme Gimme!!

Ben
2nd October 2008, 09:43 PM
Well, Nokia finally embraces the touch screen. I'm quite looking forward to having a play!

getti
2nd October 2008, 10:30 PM
next on my hitlist :).

Should be working models at the london smartphones show if anyone is going (apart from me)

miffed
3rd October 2008, 08:31 AM
Will be interesting to see how this Viewty / HTC touch Killer is received - the price point is definately interesting.
The kids have been after iPhones for a while - If I can palm them off with a couple of these I'll be laughing all the way to the bank :D

gorilla
3rd October 2008, 08:44 AM
The home screen looks a bit messy, but it does represent value for money. If the menu system is nippy then I think this will be a winner.

Also the 4th pic with the stand, I could make better :)

miffed
3rd October 2008, 11:11 AM
If the menu system is nippy then I think this will be a winner.

I thought they were using a touchscreen version of S60 ?

Ben
3rd October 2008, 11:28 AM
I thought they were using a touchscreen version of S60 ?
Yeah... I'm not sure what to expect.

I mean, it's Nokia, it's going to be ok, surely a handsome rival for the Samsung, LG and HTC touch-screen handsets doing the rounds at the moment. I think if we view it as such and don't compare it to the iPhone it might be quite impressive.

miffed
3rd October 2008, 03:58 PM
Agreed , at best this is going to be an iPhone killer killer , as I said taking on the likes of the amazing viewty and the outstanding HTC touch ;) ..where it should do really well , I sincerely hope that the price point does hold true and does not doubled by the time the phone is on sale - if it does go on sale at £200 sim free , then I can see it doing pretty well as the iPhone haters queue in their droves to get a device that is like the iPhone , but isn't the iPhone (go figure ! :D )

Hands0n
3rd October 2008, 11:04 PM
The touchscreen is pressure sensitive and not capacitance sensitive like the iPhone. That means that some pressure must be applied (anyone remember the Motorola A1000?). Nokia include a stylus with the "Tube" for good reason.

It must be remembered that this is a S60-based handset and as such one should not expect or anticipate anything more than an unusual UI into the OS.

That said, it is a well specified handset aligning up with much of its competition is many ways, save for the camera which at 3.2 mpixel is a bit behind the likes of the LG Viewty.

Biggest bang for the buck is going to be Nokia's "all you can eat" music service which is great for those who want/need/like such things.

This handset must not be looked at as a Nokia attempt at taking market share from the iPhone. But Nokia will not be making too many friends with this handset and their music service combined. Apple and many of the content-providing networks will not want this bid by Nokia to succeed. My money is on 3 not carrying this handset in their portfolio :D

miffed
4th October 2008, 08:51 AM
This handset must not be looked at as a Nokia attempt at taking market share from the iPhone.

Yeah , you can see they have gone out of their way to make it look different ;)

Hands0n
4th October 2008, 09:16 AM

ROTFL :p I think it looks a bit ........ ugly .... like that early diamond-shaped 3G handset they launched. Yuk!

getti
4th October 2008, 07:27 PM

the iPhone is a candybar with a touch screen. how different can you get unless not having a touch screen which is the whole idea of the phone.

Its like saying the iPhone is just a copy of a HTC phone because it has a large touch screen

Ben
5th October 2008, 12:28 AM
Its like saying the iPhone is just a copy of a HTC phone because it has a large touch screen
Well, yeah, apart from HTC are the bringers of ugly. Anyway, Apple had the Newton, so if anything they copied that :D At least the Tube has a chance of feeling like a bit of love and quality went into it.

solo12002
7th August 2009, 07:24 AM
" 3.2 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss Optics"

Oh come of it Nokia. 3.2pm come on we have other mobiles out there with a min of 5 and up to 12.

http://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/product.aspx?sku=3960297

Anyone got one? lol

hecatae
7th August 2009, 04:47 PM
nokia 5530 is now available for £129 payg from e2save

http://tinyurl.com/e2save5530

some youtube videos show "kinetic scrolling"

http://tinyurl.com/ktfo5d

Ben
7th August 2009, 05:19 PM
Is that supposed to be better or worse than the 5800?

5800 looks pretty hateful to live with... :S

hecatae
7th August 2009, 05:38 PM
hardware build is meant to be better, slimmer form, stainless steel front.

keys at bottom are now touchscreen.

miffed
7th August 2009, 05:57 PM
Is that supposed to be better or worse than the 5800?

5800 looks pretty hateful to live with... :S

IIRC isn't it supposed to be minus the 3G ? .... and perhaps some other stuff ? .... sorry my eyes tend to glaze over when I read about Nokia stuff these days
Real shame , as a lifelong Communicator fan , I am now 99% sure that the next Communicator is simply not going to be relevant to me !

hecatae
7th August 2009, 06:19 PM
minus 3g and gps

miffed
7th August 2009, 06:26 PM
minus 3g and gps

A Nokia device that lacks direction ? surely not ? :eek:

Tee hee , I am getting right into this Nokia bashing now :D

hecatae
7th August 2009, 07:46 PM
thing is, it's got wifi, so cheap iplayer.

solo12002
7th August 2009, 10:37 PM
See I allways knew the english were thick!

"thing is, it's got wifi, so cheap iplayer"

Ah thats were the english have gone wrong, they walk into a mobile phone shop to get an cheap iplayer !!!!

LOL

miffed
10th August 2009, 11:17 AM
LOL , this speaks volumes !

...Here we have a five and a half minute tutorial on how one should find & install the OVI store on a 5800

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzGa4iYrCG8

They just don't get it do they ? :D

Ben
10th August 2009, 01:33 PM
That was like pulling teeth! I take it there was some sort of problem with the recording to make it all jump and flicker like that...

Oh well, it's a pretty cheap phone I suppose. Probably serves its purpose quite well. I think it's going to be some time before quality touch phones reach that price point - though we're seeing some valiant efforts from the likes of Samsung. I really need to have a play with some of the new Samsungs, I need to befriend someone who works in a phone shop me thinks...

solo12002
10th August 2009, 09:29 PM
God that was so so slow. Nice music lol

miffed
10th August 2009, 09:34 PM
Interesting piece of trivia
,I am informed by a friend of mine who is staying with her majesty , that to "tube" , is to smuggle contraband into prison by sticking it up your backside

i.e. "I'll get that in OK , I'll just have to tube it"

Quite an apt name for it if you ask me , and surely not a co-incidince ?

getti
10th August 2009, 10:21 PM
That video took so long and had a 'flicker' effect as it was recorded from the online nokia emulator.

It was not recorded from a actual phone.

There is a quicker way to install Ovi, Just load the browser and go to store.ovi.com and it will download onto the phone for you.... job done.

Should only take about 20 seconds to download that is unless you are on O2 where to even have a data network at the moment is lucky.

@miffed..... 5 1/2mins is not as long as the 7 minute video it takes Apple to guide people through how to even enable the phone to make a phone call or send a text (Activation)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuVWwCxNZDw

:D:D:D

hecatae
10th August 2009, 10:40 PM
getti's already sold his 5530, tells me not to bother with it

getti
10th August 2009, 10:55 PM
5530 has a nice look and feel to it but lacks a few big things for me. HSDPA (well even 3G!) and GPS.

I did not think the 3G would be an issue as it was never going to be my main phone but turns out downloading anything over 2G is painful

Ben
10th August 2009, 11:04 PM
5530 has a nice look and feel to it but lacks a few big things for me. HSDPA (well even 3G!) and GPS.

I did not think the 3G would be an issue as it was never going to be my main phone but turns out downloading anything over 2G is painful
Go figure lol. Buying any handset without 3G these days has to be a big nono - it's as much about being future proof as anything else. The networks really should stop selling phones without 3G now, they're only making it more difficult for themselves when it comes to cutting down on 2G.

hecatae
11th August 2009, 10:37 PM
is 2g due to be switched off anytime soon so phones like nokia 5530s are not possible

miffed
12th August 2009, 09:23 AM
@miffed..... 5 1/2mins is not as long as the 7 minute video it takes Apple to guide people through how to even enable the phone to make a phone call or send a text (Activation)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuVWwCxNZDw

:D:D:D

That 7 minutes was only applicable to the original iPhone , and was in place of the 40 odd minutes where you stand in the mobile phone shop waiting for you contract to be sorted out when you by inferior non iPhone devices !!

40 mins or so in a shop while a store assistant fumbles about with your contract , fails to get through to the relevant departmant 9 times out of 10 , and then tries to sell you phone insurance you don't want

...Or 7 minutes in front of your computer with a cup of tea in your hands ......

Difficult one eh ?

Not really applicable now though anyway !

hecatae
14th December 2009, 06:48 PM
is the 5230 available anywhere yet.