View Full Version : Nokia 5800 'Tube' Delayed Until 2009

Ben
8th October 2008, 09:24 AM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/news/2008/10/08/Nokia-5800--Tube--XpressMusic-Delayed-Until--09/p1

Well it all seemed to be going a little too swimmingly didn't it...

So naturally just six days after the launch of its first touchscreen handset - the 5800 XpressMusic (more commonly known as the 'Tube') - Nokia has had to put the brakes on and admit it will miss its anticipated UK launch.

Originally scheduled to arrive in that vague period referred to as 'Q4', news has come out that we Brits will now have to wait until Q1 '09 for our first experience of Finnish feely touchy-ism. Even more knarling however is the fact Nokia will keep to its Q4 5800 release for more what are more traditionally emerging markets such as India, Russia, Spain, Asia and the Middle East.

At this stage it is unknown whether the FT's report late last week that the big four UK telcos' (Vodafone, Orange, O2 and T-Mobile) understandable resistance to Nokia's revenue sapping Comes With Music service was behind the delay - but it wouldn't surprise me. After all, each network has worked hard to launch their own online music stores and such a scheme - if popular - would immediately shoot them down.

Of course the fact the Tube 5800 is a midrange handset without truly cutting edge features also means consumer clamour doesn't rival that of the original iPhone - a device which forced telcos to bend over backwards to accommodate features like Visual Voicemail and Unlimited Data.

Ironically, I've questioned this midrange positioning in the past and it may well now come back to bite Nokia and its 5800 XpressMusic on the backside. By contrast an 8MP, 3.5in VGA LCD, 16GB, mobile TV sporting touchscreen flagship surely would have carried more clout.

So with the lucrative Christmas period now off the agenda all parties need to come together and work out a solution, fast...
The only upside is likely to be that if you can get an imported/SIM free one in the UK then it's likely to remain rare for some months.

getti
8th October 2008, 12:20 PM
I was posting this earlier but have been crying in the corner of my room for a few hours so glad Ben got there to let everyone know

Hands0n
8th October 2008, 05:25 PM
iPhone rival. Yea. Right.

Isn't this so completely and utterly Nokia? Oh well, maybe by the time it arrives no one will care much. I was unimpressed and remain so.

Nokias trouble is not the iPhone but Android. S60 doesn't stack up too well against it.