View Full Version : Unlimited Mobile Calls, Texts, Skype and 1GB Internet From 3 Network for £15

hecatae
18th October 2008, 10:07 PM
As from Next November, UK users of Three network will be able to make unlimited calls and send unlimited texts to other users on the same network for only £15.

The plan - announced during a briefing by 3 CEO Kevin Russell - will also include internet access up to 1GB capacity - which is worth £10 on its own - and the usual 4300 monthly Skype minutes. But it is not known whether this will also apply to existing customers.

Three is gambling on the fact that it does not have to pay termination fees or in the industry's lingo, mobile termination rate (MBR), when customers stay on the same network.

Three reckons that it pays more than £38 million per annum to other networks at a rate of 6p per minute while the price of every SMS hovers between 2p and 3p although the true price is likely to be around a pence a minute.

Although Three also benefits from MBR, the fact that it is UK's smallest network is working against it and while the European Commission has already said it would crack down on the exorbitant MBR fees soon, the other major mobile networks - like Vodafone - have threatened to charge customers to receive calls if Brussels kills their golden goose.

O2 offers Text or Calls Freedom allowing either unlimited O2 to O2 calls or unlimited texts to anyone when joining a Simplicity Pay Monthly tariff with 600 minutes or more per month.

T-Mobile on the other hand offers a whopping 600 minutes and unlimited texts for £20 on its Solo contract, anytime, any network.

here (http://www.itproportal.com/articles/2008/10/09/unlimited-mobile-calls-texts-skype-and-1gb-internet-3-network-15/)

and here (http://www.techdigest.tv/2008/10/3_blasts_other.html)

Another member of 3 staff revealed that on the 1st November, they'll be doing just that - £15 for unlimited calls and texts within the 3 network, as well as 1GB of data.

any ideas about this?

Hands0n
19th October 2008, 12:13 AM
Only one. Its 3, stay away. Far better to go for Simplicity (O2) or T-Mobile's 30-day SIM-only offering than commit yourself to a contract on 3.

miffed
19th October 2008, 09:27 AM
Only one. Its 3, stay away. Far better to go for Simplicity (O2) or T-Mobile's 30-day SIM-only offering than commit yourself to a contract on 3.

Shamefully , I agree with this - No matter how good the deal is I have now been reminded of good Three are at getting simple things wrong

I had actually been coming around to the idea of the new Skypephone - but thanks to a timely reminder (my broadband experience) I'll be staying well away for a a few more years yet !

Hands0n
19th October 2008, 09:41 AM
The thing with 3, for me, is that i have zero problem with their technology, their marketing, their prices. Even their collaboration with T-Mobile and Orange is a superb idea. It is all very good indeed and should be making 3 the number one mobile network operator in the UK.

My primary concern, and that which puts me off ever trading with 3 again, is their Indian customer services operation. It is truly dreadful and has got [reportedly] worse in recent times rather than better.

I do not know of anyone who has had a problem resolved to any degree of satisfaction. Instead, like miffed on here and friends and associates, they all tell the same story. One of corporate beligerance, where 3 will avoid their responsibilities at all costs rather than resolve the issue for the customer. A classic example would be where a handset fails mechanically and 3 offer the notion that the handset is not part of the service, that instead it is a gift "given free with the service" and so not covered. No other network even begins to try this lark on, so why do 3?

My advice to anyone thinking of buying into 3 for any term of commitment is don't do it. Or if you really want to then find out all you can about the offering from 3 before you do.

But above all, when trading with 3, keep in your mind "caveat emptor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor)" which is Latin for is Latin for "Let the buyer beware". Expect it to apply and you will likely not be disappointed.

I truly regret having to offer this kind of negative advice to potential 3 customers. As I said above, 3 should be a leading brand. They are not because they have refused to see the damage that their own off-shore customer services are doing. And that has to be their choice and their affair. It is a crying shame.

NB: Caveat Emptor

Under the doctrine of caveat emptor, the buyer could not recover from the seller for defects on the property that rendered the property unfit for ordinary purposes.

3GScottishUser
20th October 2008, 10:58 PM
Calling friends on 3 is a nightmare!!

Calls generally dont last long and very often I am forced to use the landline to have a conversation!

I am going to be cynical and suggest that 3 know their network is so unreliable that unlimited calls wont matter in terms of cost to them. It probably does not matter anyway even if it worked!

I have been forced to pay for calls to other friends who have 3 as I cant get reliable use of the free 300 minutes 3-3 now!

I'll be leaving 3 for the last time come the end of this contract and they can offer unlimited calls for £5 to everyone if they like but it wont tempt me. A bargain is only a bargain if you can use it.

gorilla
21st October 2008, 11:33 AM
I find all the three bashing on here amusing. It really does highlight how different areas of the country are served by each operator. During my last contract with 3, I had no problems, yet with O2 and an iPhone I've had loads of dropped calls and calls not connecting.
As with all "deals", consumers need to do some research to assess whether the product on offer is suitable for them. Perhaps if I'd done the same, I would not be the proud owner of an iPhone ;) Oh who am I kidding!!! :p

Hands0n
21st October 2008, 11:32 PM
I think the thing is, gorilla, that the "3 bashing" is completely justified. It is not that their network is bad, far from it, although like any network it has its good and not so good bits. Its not their choice of handset, thats quite good too. Its not their facilities and features, they are all good.

No, the problem with 3 is a perennial one, and that is their customer services which truly snatch defeat out of the hands of success at every opportunity.

No matter how good a service is it will go wrong at some time or another for someone. The acid test of a mobile network operator is in how it resolves those issues. In 3's case they make a hash of things with a stunning level of consistency. The tales of woe are legend by now and far too many to repeat.

That, and that alone, I think is the make or break of 3. Unfortunately for them and their customers it is a break situation rather than a make.

Ben
22nd October 2008, 10:28 AM
I tend to agree with Hands0n's POV here. With prepay perhaps the CS angle isn't so important... there's a certain disposability factor to most, if not all, of Three's prepay offering, but when it comes down to lengthy contracts, credit ratings, debt collection and beyond one really does need a mobile network with some semblance of an organised and proficient customer services operation.

The widespread perception that Three is a rubbish network with diabolical customer service (relative to the other networks) is routed in customer experiences. Until they deal with the issues, there's always going to be a higher-than-normal incidence of 'Three bashing'.

I think for Three customers perturbed greatly by the continual bad-mouthing the only solution is to accept that problems exist but reflect on positive experiences that suggest things are improving. Things must have certainly come a long way since my last contract relationship with Three.