View Full Version : Upgrade to 6680 ?

MR_G
21st May 2005, 09:46 AM
I have been using a nokia 6230 for the last 6 months, which is basically finding it difficult to keep up with my business needs. My contract with vodafone ran out in January, which gives me an opportunity to upgrade (vodafone want an extra £200 pounds also for the 6680).

At the moment i've found the bluetooth a bit of a nightmare on my phone and have been syncing with the Infra red. Is the bluetooth on the 6680 more use friendly and does it have infra red as a bakup..?

Bearing in mind that my company e-mail/calender is Lotus notes 5.. :eek:

Michel
21st May 2005, 10:55 AM
I cannot answer to the first part of your question, given I don't have yet my 6680, but according to the specifications, there is no infrared capability on the handset.

Jon3G
21st May 2005, 01:17 PM
Hi

I have just checked the Nokia site and it does not list infra red as a function. However it does have USB 2 and this is very easy to manage.

Ben
21st May 2005, 01:22 PM
Indeed, no infra-red. If you're buying a Vodafone handset and you're having problems with Bluetooth then you should be able to get support directly from their customer services. I sometimes find Nokia bluetooth a little unintuitive, but it works very well once it's set up.

Hypnotic
21st May 2005, 01:38 PM
Nokia will no longer be using infra-red in their phones anymore. Any new phones that come out will have usb ports and either bluetooth, wi-fi or both. I guess infra was just too old school for them to use now. Nokia bluetooth is the best bluetooth around, setting it up is childs play, set your name, turn it on and your off. Indeed it is easier to find which makes it easier for people to steal items from your phone, unlike motorolas which require you to put find me on even if your bluetooth is on. But motorola bluetooth blows anyway, doesn't even seem like it reaches 10 metres.

MR_G
21st May 2005, 07:15 PM
On my home PC i use Xp SP2, but at work we use XP SP1. So i have to load the drivers for the bluetooth dongle, and then get it to work with nokia suite which is a bit of pain...lotus notes 5 is such a bad package and nokia were not alot of help.

But if the 6680 is as good as you suggest (saw one in the shop today...v. nice), It shouldn't be any more trouble than the 6230, as long as you don't tick contacts to sync as it does the corporate list (massive) rather than your personol list.