View Full Version : Sky Mobile now on 3

3GScottishUser
19th November 2008, 09:05 AM
3 customers can get Sky TV in the palm of their hands but an internet data package is needed

3 customers can now get Sky TV Mobile in the palm of their hands for an added monthly cost.

The service availability on 3 is the first time that Sky Mobile will be available ‘off portal'. Although advertised on ‘Planet 3’ all video content will transferred through a separate video server not through the 3 portal.

This means 3 customers will have to consider whether or not to take out an internet add on package before they start streaming content. An internet add on will cost extra on top of the £5 monthly charge for the service.

Sky TV Mobile has a flat rate of £5 per month or £1 for a day. An internet add on from 3 is available from £2.50 per month for 10MB of data.

Sky Mobile services are now available on Vodafone, Orange, T-Mobile and 3 UK, the service has in excess of 200,000 subscriptions making it the UK’s largest 3G mobile TV service.

David Gibbs, general manager, mobile, BSkyB, comments: ‘We are excited to launch some of Sky’s most popular live mobile TV channels on 3 UK. As we’ve seen since launching Sky Mobile TV in 2005, month after month Sky content continues to top the mobile channel rankings.’

Fergal Walker, 3’s director of product management, said: ‘With more and more customers using their phones to access data rich services on the internet such as music and TV, we’re delighted to welcome Sky’s successful mobile TV channels. We know sport and news are major drivers of mobile TV, so offering the likes of Sky Sports and Sky News to our customers ensures we continue to press ahead in delivering the best mobile internet services.’

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/3_partner_with_Sky_Mobile_to_offer_Sky_TV_to_custo mers.html

gorilla
19th November 2008, 09:58 AM
200,000 subscribers? That seems quite a lot. Do you think they all pay £5 a month?

If that is the case, does this make mobile tv a viable business?

I remember having sky tv mobile on vodafone a couple of years ago. It worked ok, but the screen size made it difficult viewing.

Ben
19th November 2008, 11:02 AM
I suppose it makes it viable for Sky. I think there would be a market for on-demand programme viewing (as there would be/is on regular TV), but the looped channels I encountered when I subscribed have very little appeal.