View Full Version : Eek ! "Photo Editor" has disappeared !?!

callum
22nd May 2005, 10:39 AM
So, there I am, in Boots... (the shop, not the footwear) and into their yellow Kodak photo print machine goes my memory card...

Now, I know it has got about 12 images on it, but for some reason the machine says "No Images" or something similar.

So, being a bloke and therefore unable to resist temptation when it comes to fiddling with stuff, I assumed its because the memory card wasnt formatted. Moved my photos back to the phone memory and proceeded to format the memory card.

Not only was the Kodak machine unable to locate any images on the card (once I had put them back to the card), but the "Photo Editor" application has disappeared from the "Imaging" menu ?!?!?

I have checked all other menu's to see if had moved anywhere, but no. The Link said you cant actually delete this particular application, and this seems to be true, as there is no "delete" option when, for example, I select "Vid.Editor".

Also, I looked thru the alphabetical "Help" menu and there is now no listing at all for "Photo Editor"...VERY WEIRD

LOST: One "Photo Editor" application. Sorely missed and owner V worried !!

Any ideas ?????

Callum :confused:

Michel
22nd May 2005, 12:18 PM
You couldn't have stored your pictures on your memory card if this card hadn't been formatted first. By formatting it once again, you lost all the content of the card, not only your pictures (in your message, you said by chance you have a backup copy of them), but also Photo Editor.... everything. All softwares resided on the MMC. To retrieve the whole content, I suggest you find another 6680 owner, and ask him/her if they can send you their files using MSN Messenger, AIM and the likes. I can be this person, and I am always ready to help somebody. I can't right now as I don't have my 6680 yet. I will have it by the end of May. I suppose the fact I'm french won't be a problem : I figure my files will display the messages (menus, popups ...) on your end in the same language your 6680 is configured into. It is worth a try. I will leave my MSN for you to contact me. Then you will retrieve your Photo Editor and the rest. You will have to download Nokia PC Suite from Nokia's website (http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,71233,00.html) (or from the CD) to reinstall the files I will send you. I hope you have a PC and not a MAC, otherwise it is hopeless : Nokia PC Suite is only PC/Windows compatible.

I don't know the reason why Kodak photo machines were unable to locate your photos on your card, but it seems the problem is not on your side. A matter of compatibility, I presume.

@NickyColman
22nd May 2005, 12:20 PM
With my 6680, all the pre-installed applications came on my memory card! If i remove the card i loose the applications! If the same is true with your phone, then it sounds like by formatting your card, you may have accidently deleted the application itself!

Take a look at www.nokia.com . they may have the application available for download!

Keep us informed! :)

Hypnotic
22nd May 2005, 01:13 PM
Photo editor is on the memory card, along with a lot of other programs.

And if you remove your memory card you lose the applications??? Lmao that blows for you as that doesn't happen for me :D

@NickyColman
22nd May 2005, 01:15 PM
Yeah for some reason all the apps are on the memory card. As soon as you put it back in again the apps return!

Ben
22nd May 2005, 02:35 PM
Having aps on the card is pretty good - means valuable phone memory is kept free and you can install different aps on different memory card for different circumstances.

I used a card reader to copy the Nokia RSDVMMC to my 256mb one, so keeping my 20 or so megs of applications while also having tonnes of room for images, videos, MP3s etc.

Michel
22nd May 2005, 02:58 PM
What kind of card reader do you have ? I am looking for one which is as universal as possible, given I also have a Sony digital camera that uses MemorySticks.

Ben
22nd May 2005, 03:01 PM
from these guys: http://www.mobymemory.com/RS_DV_Dual_Voltage_MMC_Memory_Cards.asp

23-in-1, £11.99 with the order! It's only a small lil thing, but it works an absolute treat!

getti
22nd May 2005, 10:36 PM
Anyone tried using one of those Kodak machines for printing 6680 pics yet?

Jon3G
22nd May 2005, 10:45 PM
Anyone tried using one of those Kodak machines for printing 6680 pics yet?

I used it with my 6630 and they come out ok

Cant see it being different because the camera is the same

callum
23rd May 2005, 12:15 PM
You couldn't have stored your pictures on your memory card if this card hadn't been formatted first. By formatting it once again, you lost all the content of the card, not only your pictures (in your message, you said by chance you have a backup copy of them), but also Photo Editor.... everything. All softwares resided on the MMC. To retrieve the whole content, I suggest you find another 6680 owner, and ask him/her if they can send you their files using MSN Messenger, AIM and the likes. I can be this person, and I am always ready to help somebody. I can't right now as I don't have my 6680 yet. I will have it by the end of May. I suppose the fact I'm french won't be a problem : I figure my files will display the messages (menus, popups ...) on your end in the same language your 6680 is configured into. It is worth a try. I will leave my MSN for you to contact me. Then you will retrieve your Photo Editor and the rest. You will have to download Nokia PC Suite from Nokia's website (http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,71233,00.html) (or from the CD) to reinstall the files I will send you. I hope you have a PC and not a MAC, otherwise it is hopeless : Nokia PC Suite is only PC/Windows compatible.

I don't know the reason why Kodak photo machines were unable to locate your photos on your card, but it seems the problem is not on your side. A matter of compatibility, I presume.

Michel,

Thanks for the offer, and all the replies here confirmed my suspicion that Photo Editor etc are on the mem card. Went back to The Link and they very kindly just swapped my 6680 for a new one, and a new memory card. Photo Editor is back on there, andmanaged to get the photos from the old card onto the new one, so all is well again :D

Thanks for all the advice :)

So, lessons learnt from all this... Callum MUST NOT fiddle with things he:

A. Doesnt understand
B. Has no knowledge off
C. Both the above if it relates to the 6680.

Callum :)

PS. Put my memory card into Jessop's photo machine (non Kodak) and it read it fine !?!?