View Full Version : Who would you like to see take-over O2?

@NickyColman
22nd May 2005, 12:16 PM
If O2 were to be taken over in the next year, who would you like to see take over?

I wouldnt like to see O2 be taken over by Orange, Vodafone, or -T-Mobile as i think it would end up making a giant in the market! Id rather an outside company take over O2!

What does everyone else think?

3GScottishUser
22nd May 2005, 01:02 PM
None of the others would be allowed to take-over 02.

When Hutchison sold Orange to Mannesman they were swiftly swallowed up by almighty Vodafone and for a while Vodafone owned Orange UK. They were made to run it separately and had to sell it off of course to France Telecom to ensure market competition.

Who'd buy 02? Lots of companies like KPN, DoCoMo, Sprint, Telefonica, Tele-2, TIM to name a few. I suspect 02 will carry on independently for now as they seem to be doing OK and providing returns for their shareholders. The global operators probably have other 'bargains' available that extend their reach into growing markets rather than the mature ones like 02 operate in.

Ben
22nd May 2005, 02:32 PM
I know that there are regulatory barriers, but lets just pretend there aren't for a minute.

I think O2 has the most to gain from joining forces with 3. Providing they could then implement seamless switching, open data access etc then they'd end up with great 3G coverage and a userbase that is already one of the highest data userbases out there.

@NickyColman
22nd May 2005, 02:37 PM
Yeah, i agree ben, however, i dont think it would do O2 any good to join forces with Three based on Three's current reputation in the market for service and reliability!

3GScottishUser
22nd May 2005, 10:08 PM
Agreed, 02 are now in partnership with DoCoMo who limped back to Tokyo nursing a 90% loss on their 3UK investment. I doubt if 02 and 3 would make good partners their strategies in terms of 3G have been too diverse.

Jon3G
22nd May 2005, 10:50 PM
I know it could not happen, but I would like Orange to take o2. I really want to see Orange be a world leader and a UK leader

BTW

I called Orange for the first time in 6 months and get a funny feeling, I am def going back very soon

Hands0n
22nd May 2005, 11:57 PM
O2 is very much a going concern so it would be an attractive proposition for any predator that had sufficient cash to buy it. I wonder if BT wouldn't like to buy it back if the terms were favourable.

Internationally I reckon that an American or Far Eastern corporation would be the most likely candidate.

But the topical question is quite specific - "Who would I like to see ....." so my vote would be Wal Mart. Why? I'd really like to see a mobile op run like a true business rather than like just another telco.

Yet another aside - Like Jon3G, I found myself yesterday checking out an Orange upgrade to 3G (theirs) from my 2.5G with them. £125 + £25 for the handset would secure it. But no, I'll wait till Nov before I do the deed - if I can just hold my nerve long enough. Unless the others step up the competition with a better proposition.

HutchRULEz
23rd August 2005, 08:15 AM
I wouldn't mind see H3 get it. I think its definatley improved within the last 6 months and it really relible. It's now emerging what was promised.

getti
23rd August 2005, 10:19 PM
I think no UK network can buy O2 due to the fact they would own 2 3G licences. Maybe NTT could take over fully?

miffed
24th August 2005, 08:12 AM
Arrrgh ! *wakes up from nightmare*

So after years of crap with Three , more dropped calls than successful ones , no data access , no CS to speak of , billing probs ,crap call quality and "3G" services that move far slower than 2.5g offerings of the "others" - I finally find a network that WORKS reliably ,not had a single dropped call in 8 months, CS are freindly and helpful on the two occasions I have had to contact them ,Data is quick (albeit GPRS ) and also free ..... (I could go on ! the list of improvements is endless )

.....And then some of you sadists tell me you'd like to see this network run by Three !?!?!? :mad: :( :mad: :mad:

You Sick, sick people ....... :mad:

:)

HutchRULEz
25th August 2005, 07:41 PM
I don't have a problem with 3. And I don't live in a built up area, nearest city is 30 mins away, really good 3G speeds.

I wonder if 3G actually has better geographical quality? If I ever force my A1000 to 2.5G, the quality is noticably poorer. I find it easiest to describe as this is when my 3 service is like what many of you describe. I live at the top of a hill and I can get relatively good 2.5g quality on my side. However, if I go to my friends house at the opposite side, the 2.5g is non-existant. The 3G is the same quality so that is of no worry.
But honestly, in recent times 3 have really improved. I haven't actually tried the new Nokia's yet (never got on with S60) so it may be even better than on my A1000.
And hopefully, by the end of march 06 the walled garden will have gone and maybe even the 30 day limit on 3pay.

(And I only ever had to contact O2 once, for a new stylus on my xda. I was bounced to a different operator no less than 13 times, No bull!, only to be told I cannot order via the phone due to "technical difficulties at the present time".)

3g-g
25th August 2005, 08:20 PM
I wonder if 3G actually has better geographical quality?

No, 3G doesn't have better geographical quality, it's of a higher frequency so doesn't travel as far or cope as well over hills etc as GSM900 does. Vodafone and O2 GSM900 will always have it great for coverage, I'm surprised to hear your remark RE: 3G coverage and O2 2.5G coverage at your friends, it's more than likely 3 will have built another mast on the other side of the hill knowing that one mast can't serve both sides.

WRT to "take over O2", I voted other. It can't be any of the other UK based operators due to their licence restrictions. It's possible KPN or maybe one of the American companies would have a look, but thinking about it O2 seem to be plodding along just nicely, why they'd allow someone to buy them at the moment would seem strange. Would be a shame for another British Telco to go out of our hands and into Jonny Foreigners.

Hands0n
25th August 2005, 08:45 PM
I wonder if the Chinese will not be making an impact into the corporate buyout arena in time to come. I think it inevitable that "Jonny Foreigner" will be the buyer - who in the UK has the financial resource and/or the stomach to invest in a mobile operator?