View Full Version : The Blackberry Storm - "Embarrassingly Awful"

Ginz
24th November 2008, 12:00 PM
Just been reading this blog post.. What do you think?

Here - http://bit.ly/qBea

miffed
24th November 2008, 12:29 PM
Actually , I was sort of half expecting it TBH , as it is a scenario that we have been through with virtually every device since the iPhone was announced

So what is it that Apple are doing that the others don't seem able to get their heads around ? - Seriously, It's not like the iPhone can fly or anything ,
It's like they are all trying to copy the WRONG bits of the iPhone
(notice how all the Date and time readouts look like the iphone now ? :D )

Bunch of idiots ! - instead of trying to develop a UI that is AS GOOD as the iPhone , they thing that simply sticking an iPhone-esque skin on an awful OS is going to make us thing "WOW , Its just like the iphone" -

Apple Broke the mould by making their device DIFFERENT !! - You'd think the others would have learnt by that , but instead , they still think copying existing designs is the way forward

Seems the one ingredient Apple have , that the others lack , is imagination

Ben
24th November 2008, 01:19 PM
Wow. I wasn't expecting this at all!

It's a bit sad, actually. I know it has only been a few months since we got the iPhone 3G in the UK, but it has been a lot longer since the original iPhone launched and the UI is relatively unchanged. Yet there is still no phone out there that people can say is 'as good as the iPhone' - and some people STILL maintain that the iPhone is rubbish!

The mind boggles.

Anyway, never mind RIM, keep trying. Note that it'd take something out of this world to switch me away from my iPhone 3G with MobileMe - Mac users enjoy the most seamless experience imaginable.

Ben
3rd December 2008, 11:24 AM
TR have their review up (http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-devices/review/2008/12/03/BlackBerry-Storm-on-Vodafone/p1). The Storm scored highly, but did not get a recommended award.

They did like it a lot, though, and pretty much everything they say about it is positive. I think it's probably a great handset if you need a Blackberry and want a touch screen. Otherwise, as TR say in the comments, better get an iPhone.

The Mullet of G
1st January 2009, 12:05 PM
I was expecting the Storm to pretty shoddy, but its even worse than I was expecting. Read quite a few reviews, and seen them test it on the Gadget show, and it looked absolutely dire. I've always considered RIM and Blackberry to be fairly mediocre, I suspect from a business stand point they probably fare better though. :)

getti
1st January 2009, 12:45 PM
The storm was not finished. That was the impression i had when i used one at launch. 3 or more software updates already which is even more than a buggy Nokia gets in that time.

Issues i found were:

Poor 3G signal on the Storm
Poor battery life
Auto Rotate was WAY too sensitive
UI is very slow at times
Big gap around the screen will let in dust