View Full Version : I've got the itch !

miffed
25th November 2008, 08:51 AM
The iPhone is a wonderous piece of technology - but it rather detracts from my 'former' status as a mobile phone "hobbyist"
I have the "itch" for a new device , but I sure as hell am not prepared to take a step backwards ! , I'll take a step sideways happily - but even then I am don't think I am prepared to "shelf" the iPhone

All this leaves a bit of a hole in my life ! , the fun of choosing a phone .... checking the forums for reviews , getting all my 'tweaks' ready in advance , then waiting for the carrier to arrive .... Making excuses at work to make sure I am at home for the delivery .... The great unboxing , getting around teething troubles , then posting up to say how wonderful my new device is

I thought about the G1 - but it doesn't seem to have much promise , then Stephen Fry shattered my plans for a BB storm - Hell , I even found myself looking at the N96 :D (didn't last long that one ! )
Looked at the Nokia 5800 , but it reminds me of a Huawei e220 modem with its body styling , - NOPE , there is no way Iam going to stoop to a Nokia !
The one I am "almost" settled on is the HTC Touch HD - Definately seems to be the best I have seen from HTC of late , (after the disappointment of the Vario III ( tytn II/ Kaiser )
But then , Everyone who sums up the HD calls it the closest thing to an iPhone running WM , - Erm , if I wanted something "close to an iPhone" , I'd just keep my iPhone , wouldn't I ?

Cheers Apple , you have killed my favourite hobby !

Ben
25th November 2008, 09:34 AM
I know, I've really messed up with Apple, too.

I keep buying Apple stuff, but it never obsoletes itself. I used to rely on the other things I would blow my cash on to become intolerable or superseded within a short space of time, but the Apple kit remains relevant and up to date.

I no longer carry around two mobile phones and have no intention to start doing so again. And as I also have no intention of giving up my iPhone 3G that rules out phones for the time being.

I've considered a netbook, which shows amazing restraint compared to you guys(!), but short of the Dell with integrated HSDPA I'm not that interested. And the last thing I want is a machine running Windows XP. But I can't be bothered with Linux either :D Plus, having an Air, there's just no point.

I've considered getting a new home computer, though it'd have to be Apple. My 'old' Dell makes the Hubble Telescope look like a fancy toaster, but in true Dell and Microsoft style it feels like a trip back to the 80's and is about as reliable as a car from some decades before that. Plus I don't *need* one, and that'd be a lot of money to drop on something with little justification.

One thing I will say about WM - the new WM is coming out soon, featuring the new IE. It's supposed to be 'better'. It'd have to be. In true MS style, no existing WM devices will be upgradeable to the new OS. My point: Don't buy now.

A Blackberry would be an interesting step. Though apparently the Bold, and particularly the Storm, have plenty of issues. If I had to get one I'd be tempted to try the Pearl, but that's so old I'd just feel silly. But maybe you could pick up a bargain?

Either that or the SE Xpheria(?). But that's WM too, now, isn't it?

Can't win.

Hands0n
25th November 2008, 11:55 PM
Me too - I know exactly where you two are coming from.

Of late I am finding myself looking at the iPhone and thinking to myself "Oh, this is all a bit old hat now". I, too, have scoured the world wide wait to see if anything takes my fancy. Plenty does, but none of it is a mobile phone!

The daughter has the SE XP1 - its horrible!! And not because it is WM, its just horrible, the keyboard is horrible, the tiny pokey little buttons are horrible, all it has is swimming fish that mean different things! Big deal!!

I've had no yen for the Blackberry - I hate the things with a passion.

The Google G1 is the closest thing to tickle my fancy - the elder lad is getting one when his contract comes up at year end, I'll wait that one out.

No, for me I'm now stuck in a warp. Just me, and my iphone 3G