View Full Version : Nokia N97 Announced

Ben
2nd December 2008, 11:34 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE4B128V20081202

Nokia, the world's largest mobile phone maker, unveiled the N97 on Tuesday, a new flagship model with a large touch screen which it hopes will bolster its smartphone offering.

The Finnish handset giant hopes the new model will inject new life into its line-up of N-series multimedia phones, a former trademark of cutting edge technology that has seen few innovations lately.

"This is really the start of the new N-series ... really kicking off the next wave," Jonas Geust, vice president of Nokia's Devices unit, told Reuters in an interview, adding touch screens and full-qwerty keyboards will be key features in the new wave of products.

"What would there be these days without touch ... Touch for this category of devices is going to be important. Qwerty is also going to be important," he said.

The battle for a bigger share of the smartphone business has heated up since Apple introduced its iPhone last year, and all vendors are seeking a bigger slice of the market, which is set to continue growing despite gloom in the wider markets.

Nokia was the last major handset maker to introduce touch screen phones following the runaway success of iPhone. Last month Nokia started to sell its first such model and it has promised to introduce touch screen models across its portfolio.

Nokia continues to dominate the global market for smartphones -- handsets with computer-like features like e-mail -- but it sold less of them in the third quarter than a year ago, losing market share to Apple and Blackberry-maker RIM.

Nokia's ailing position in the high end of the mobile phone market worries investors and analysts as this is expected to weigh on the Finnish group's profit margins.

The new N97 is a direct rival to Sony Ericsson's X1 and HTC's Touch Pro -- which both use Microsoft's Windows software -- and analysts said by the time it goes on sale more direct rivals will likely have appeared.

"It might give Nokia a little edge, but it's six months until this reaches the market," said Gartner analyst Carolina Milanesi.

Nokia said the new phone is expected to retail for prices similar to the N95 and N96 when these were first introduced. The N97 is scheduled to reach markets latest in June next year.

Nokia introduced its last major N-series hit, the N95, in 2006 and started its sales early last year. To date it has sold more than 10 million N95s, creating revenues of several billion euros.

"Nokia faced difficult choices with the N97. It tried to cram in lots of different technologies such as a touch screen, full qwerty keyboard and plenty of memory, but it had to make trade-offs in its size and features," said Ben Wood, research director at CCS Insight.

"It has ended up with a relatively thick device that lacks some of the benchmark features expected in flagship products in mid-2009," he said. (Reporting by Tarmo Virki; editing by Simon Jessop)
I'm sure it'll be delightful... thanks getti for the heads up.

miffed
2nd December 2008, 11:58 AM
Looks interesting ! , wonder where the mobile market will be when we actually get to see it ?

Looks like HTC have found an outlet for their old Tytn parts :D

Hands0n
2nd December 2008, 01:29 PM
My first thought was SE XP1. How can Nokia have fallen so very far behind and with no apparent ability to even catch up. It beggars belief that an XP1 clone is the best they can come up with!

Even the G1 Android phone is a better prospect now, never mind June 2009

In the words of that famous analyst "FFS Nokia!"

Ben
2nd December 2008, 01:56 PM
I have to agree, I'm a long way from convinced by this move.

All Nokia have had going for them in recent times is high spec handsets (WTF OMGZ iPhone 3G has no specz!!!?!), so why omit an 8mp camera from their new top end handset when the competition have had 8mp out for some time now?

Why is their flagship "a direct rival to Sony Ericsson's X1 and HTC's Touch Pro" when these handsets are NOT the big sellers that the N95 were? They're niche smartphones with QWERTY keyboards that just don't have the same appeal.

Finally, why have they neglected design? This thing looks bulky in the pictures, and the news article comments as such. We'll have to see it in the flesh to judge whether the materials and construction will allow it to compete.

I think for this to be a hit it'll have to be out in 3 months, not 6, and will need major network backing and subsidy. If Nokia release another handset between now and the N97 release that's even slightly appealing then I think the N97 is in trouble.

3GScottishUser
2nd December 2008, 10:49 PM
See what it looks like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD-elt8MN3I&eurl=http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10110873-94.html

You want one..... you really do!!

Looks like a real i-phone killer especially if it 'comes with music'. :)

Here's the official Nokia video....: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CpesK7lmMg&NR=1

Ben
3rd December 2008, 12:00 AM
You've tried an iPhone 3G... haven't you? :S That UI is ugly!

Edit: Lmao, it looks so different in the official Nokia video. That's hilarious.

maxspank
3rd December 2008, 01:45 AM
I think it looks pretty good. I haven't used an iphone so my expectations aren't set ridiculously high :D

Best start saving my pennies.

miffed
3rd December 2008, 06:49 AM
Hmm, the homescreen reminds me of this ....Which , to be fair , was quite good 5 years ago :D

chaslam
3rd December 2008, 09:57 AM
You've tried an iPhone 3G... haven't you? :S That UI is ugly!

Edit: Lmao, it looks so different in the official Nokia video. That's hilarious.

Yeah, and the iphone 3G was pretty much exactly the same in the advert they had to pull for making the iphone look completely something it wasnt? :rolleyes: If they manage to make the UI anything like the 5800, then it will be great. Ive used a 5800 and I have to say, and its the closest touchscreen device to a iphone I have used. Its just as fast (the 5800 this is), its just a different layout. If they can make it as fast as that, then i think it could be a winner.

And the reason its thicker is because they have put a keypad on it, which to be honest I think is a good idea (the reason I dont like the iphone, or any touchscreen phone for that matter is a lack of keypad, it annoys the hell out of me). It would be physically impossible to make a phone as thin as the iphone with a keypad. Look at the Touch Diamond and touch pro. The Diamond is very nice to hold, thin and light, yet the pro feels like you have just been to a building site and picked a brick up off the floor, just because of the keypad!

The Mullet of G
31st December 2008, 01:33 PM
Excellent, good to see the N97 has gotten the Apple defence force all riled up. Anyone would think they felt threatened. :D

Sure an 8mp camera would have been nice, but look around at the competition, most other handsets with a similar form factor have 3mp cameras or less. How many generations will it take before iPhone has a 5mp camera?

Typically when it comes to qwerty keyboard bearing handsets, the camera resolution tends to be low to non existent. Nokia have basically combined elements of the old 9xxx Communicator and E Series, along with the best of N Series, and stuck a touch screen on top for good measure. And frankly I think the result is fantastic. Rather than whine about the very few things it doesn't have, why not marvel at the gargantuan amount of stuff it does have. :)