View Full Version : Nokia 6680 & Orange TV 'launch' Tuesday 24th May

Ben
23rd May 2005, 03:24 PM
As we have heard, Orange will be releasing the Orange TV product to coincide with the launch of the Nokia 6680 imaging smartphone this week.

The combo will offer 9 channels initially, and will only be available on the Nokia 6680. While more handsets are promised, it is not yet clear whether a version of the Orange TV application will be available for the existing Orange 3G smartphone, the Nokia 6630. Although very similar, the Nokia 6630 has a different screen - something that may require different software.

The Orange Media Centre have revealed that Orange hopes to launch Orange TV and the Nokia 6680 handset onto the network tomorrow. As has already been discussed, it is expected that handsets will not be available in many stores until either Wednesday or Friday to coincide with shipments. Whether the handset will be orderable from the Orange website and Orange direct tomorrow is yet to be seen, but likely.

Providing the Orange TV application is put live on the network tomorrrow I hope to have more details about how it performs for you on the evening. £10 buys a user 20 hours of viewing (via 1GB of data transfer). New customers will be able to enjoy Orange TV free for 3 months via the inclusive 1GB 'Try' bundle.

Edit: Nothing yet! (~11am)
Edit: Several sources now suggest Orange are selling what stocks of the 6680 they have. Upgrades/direct sales may also sell you the handset. It looks like the handset has now launched, though there is no sign of OTV on my unbranded one. Please post further information if you acquire a handset. (~12:30pm)

Darren
24th May 2005, 02:08 PM
I have tried to upgrade to the 6680 today at 1pm via cs and they tell me that it is still not launched on the network! :mad:

getti
24th May 2005, 02:39 PM
Phone back Darren. I phoned Upgrades at about 1pm and was told it IS available to order now

Sped
24th May 2005, 03:16 PM
Well its a good job we have a great forum and some top info from people on here cos on orange's website they still have it up as coming soon. Rang em and yes they do have it in.......AND IVE ORDERED 1 yeeeessssssssss!!!
Will tell ya how mine is so as i get it.

Darren
24th May 2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the tip. Got my 6680 coming on Thursday. Also noticed how keen they are to keep existing customers. They have got very agressive on deals. Managed to get 500mins and 30 texts for £25.00 per month. :) Thats better than the dreaded 3!

Jon3G
24th May 2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the tip. Got my 6680 coming on Thursday. Also noticed how keen they are to keep existing customers. They have got very agressive on deals. Managed to get 500mins and 30 texts for £25.00 per month. :) Thats better than the dreaded 3!

How much did you pay

Or how much did anyone pay?

and was the deal you got because you was an current customer?

Darren
24th May 2005, 04:47 PM
Got the phone for free. Got such a good deal because I have avaeraged about £50 a months over the last year. They are going all out to keep existing customers happy.

Ben
24th May 2005, 04:54 PM
Excellent deal, congratulations! Orange do treat their high spenders well.

Orange TV will not be launching until Friday now, or at least that's the official line. I guess that coincides with the launch of Big Brother, so that works out pretty nicely! As of Friday the application will be downloadable to 6680 handsets via Orange World.

Jon3G
24th May 2005, 04:55 PM
Excellent deal, congratulations! Orange do treat their high spenders well.

Orange TV will not be launching until Friday now, or at least that's the official line. I guess that coincides with the launch of Big Brother, so that works out pretty nicely! As of Friday the application will be downloadable to 6680 handsets via Orange World.

Ben you was right

Jon3G
24th May 2005, 04:58 PM
http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handsets/all/all/3g

its on the site

Jon3G
25th May 2005, 02:41 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/22/orange_touts_tv_on_3g_mobile_phones/

This link is the full story about OTV that Ben kindly edited for us to provide us with the detial