View Full Version : New 3 handsets?

RichH6109
23rd May 2005, 06:44 PM
Does anyone know where I can get information on handsets about to be released on 3? Their website doesn't even show the 6680 or indeed anything that has been released in the past few months.

My g/f has just joined 3 and I could do with a 3 handset myself to keep costs down - is just there's no handset that I like at the moment and my O2 contract runs out at the end of June.

Anyone??

chaslam
23rd May 2005, 07:04 PM
The 6680 doesnt show because three dont acually sell it. It is the inderpendent retailers that have made an agreement with nokia and three to sell the phone on behalf of three. If you want a 3 contract, then I recommend the 6680.

RichH6109
23rd May 2005, 07:19 PM
Is there anything else slated to be available on 3 within the next 6-8 weeks?? Don't want to plump for a 6680 if there's going to be something as good out soon.

Ben
23rd May 2005, 08:04 PM
Welcome to Talk3G!

The call centre are famous for telling customers that they don't know of any new handsets entering the network until a few days before they are actually launched. Three don't tend to have 'coming soon' handsets, but if you speak to retailers directly then they should be able to give you an indication of any handsets to be released in the next month or so.

Jon3G
23rd May 2005, 09:25 PM
Does anyone know where I can get information on handsets about to be released on 3? Their website doesn't even show the 6680 or indeed anything that has been released in the past few months.

My g/f has just joined 3 and I could do with a 3 handset myself to keep costs down - is just there's no handset that I like at the moment and my O2 contract runs out at the end of June.

Anyone??

My advice

Now days it does not matter what network you are with if you get cross network mins. However if you really want the 6680 then chose a provider like Voda or Orange ( when it arrives)

3g-g
24th May 2005, 12:17 AM
Fella, if it's cheapness you're wanting, in terms of cost to yourself then Three are the way to go. Although all the networks are begining to push out really good offers on PAYG, Orange and Vodafone being the two that are taking the lead. If you want reliability from the network I'd maybe opt for a 2G PAYG. If you want to be in a cheap contract then Three's the way. If Hutch are what you decide then I'd say a 6680 is the way to go. Hutch aren't a network well known for exclusive releases, I think that can be shown in the fact that the 6680 isn't even really an "official release" for Three. It's possible that the Nokia releases will be some sort of saving grace for Three, I've heard from a couple of people that the 7600 performs well on the network, and you won't find a bad word said against the 6680 on Talk3G!

If you're pondering over the fact that a N series might get dropped the moment you sign up for 6680 I wouldn't panic. I can see Orange (ha! - in joke for the Orange release schedule for us at Talk3G) or Voda getting their hands on those before Three. At least you could take out another Three contract as the cost isn't particularly high if something else is released that takes your fancy?

Keep us informed of what you choose.

G.

3GScottishUser
24th May 2005, 12:46 AM
3 have nothing lined up apart from some cosmeticlly changed Motorolas for the next 3 months or so (A new LG varient the 8180 is due - more of the same). In September/October there will be new LG's and some new Samsung offerings (details are still sketchy).... that's if 3 last that long.... things are bad right now as many who bought LG's and Nokia 7600's last year are leaving the network.... it's quite grim.

If Hutchison decide to have another full scale assult expect to see the above and perhaps the SonyEricsson K600i in the line-up, but not until the 3rd quarter of this year.

RichH6109
24th May 2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys. Just to make it clear - my girlfriend has a 6680 on 3 and I'd like to be able to video call her, so the handset has to be 3G. However, I'll happily use another provider if they have a good cross-network minutes deal - I'm just put off by the 50p/min video calls to non-3 mobiles charge that she may have to pay.

Ideally I'd like a K600i as I've always been happy with SE phones, but I honestly can't see it being released in July on any network, despite what the press may say.

Jon3G
24th May 2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks guys. Just to make it clear - my girlfriend has a 6680 on 3 and I'd like to be able to video call her, so the handset has to be 3G. However, I'll happily use another provider if they have a good cross-network minutes deal - I'm just put off by the 50p/min video calls to non-3 mobiles charge that she may have to pay.

Ideally I'd like a K600i as I've always been happy with SE phones, but I honestly can't see it being released in July on any network, despite what the press may say.

If you want her to Video you then I dont think 3 give cross network vid mins away and if thats a real big feature then go for 3, but way up all the odds and cons before you jump to 3, you may regret it

chaslam
24th May 2005, 05:09 PM
I think that you are fine going with three. If your girlfriends signal is ok and she is happy with them, then I dont see why your signal should be different and you should be happy to.
What you could do is get a cheap 3 phone eg Ive seen then for £2.99 a month and then just buy a phoen you like of ebay.

delinquentwoody
24th May 2005, 08:58 PM
Or just get the 6680 - it really is a fantastic handset!