View Full Version : Where's all the good stuff ?

miffed
15th December 2008, 12:23 PM
I am due an upgrade on T-mobile, but at the moment , the only handset that interests me (remotely) is the G1 !

Anyone know if there are any plans for anything interesting ? - Touch HD perhaps ?

It's quite frustrating , having to wait !

Ben
15th December 2008, 01:54 PM
Wait :/ Call up and get a discount on your line rental or something instead :D

miffed
15th December 2008, 03:41 PM
Wait :/ Call up and get a discount on your line rental or something instead :D

I am considering the 'or something' (specifically a PAC :D )

Wonder when the next iPHone is due :rolleyes: ?

Hands0n
16th December 2008, 12:10 AM
The elder lad has just ordered himself a G1 on a T-Mobile upgrade, £40pcm package. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one outside of the shop to play with.

On Saturday I was in the T-Mobile store in Bluewater and played around with a G1 for a few minutes. It was very easy to pick up and use without any need for assistance or manual - a leaf out of the Apple design manual no doubt very well applied here. However, it only took me about 3 or 4 minutes of fiddling around to cause the G1 to crash its OS and reboot! :eek: I did not anticipate that, I wasn't even trying, just fumbling and experimenting with loading apps, moving apps icons around the screen, that kind of stuff.

One has to hope that the G1's later versions of the OS will prevent such spectacular crashes from occurring.

Whats next, asks Miffed? TBH I really do not know, everything out there at the moment seems to very samey or has poor write-ups. I had thought of the HTC Diamond, but that has adverse comments about its performance under Windows Mobile and their customised UI.

When HTC launched the Diamond, using its "Touch-Flo" screen felt like wading through treacle. Now, one memory upgrade later, the phone begins to deliver on its promise, albeit still reluctantly.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7766699.stm

The Sony Ericsson Experia X1 (same URL) looks jaw-droppingly gorgeous, but daughter has one and I would have thrown it back at Vodafone within the initial 14 days! Its horrid to use, SE have lost the plot!!

And so its back to the G1, or is it? I have to wonder when I read from the same article the following;

Android, however, has a number of drawbacks. Like Apple, Google offers a "marketplace" of applications to customise your phone. The problem is the open source culture of this widgets.

Think Firefox (the browser) extensions gone bad. Most applications have whacky names, poorly worded descriptions and strange customer reviews that will leave G1 owners doubtful whether they should really click the download button - not least as some apps come with a price tag.

More importantly, key software is missing. The G1 cannot be synchronised with a computer's phonebook or diary, and I failed to find even basic office applications like a word processor.

As always, the choice is yours :D

gorilla
16th December 2008, 01:12 PM
The G1 is good value at the minute (to new customers, no idea about existing), free on a £30 per month contract.

However, as much as I'm starting to get drawn towards Android, I would say hold off for a while if you can. The next 6 months will see a raft of new Android handsets launched on probably all the networks, so you options will be greater.

miffed
22nd December 2008, 02:48 PM
Actually , I was looking at an E71 today , and I reckon if the queue had not been so long in the T-mobile shop , I'd have bought one !
This phone looks so much better in the flesh than in pictures , one of the nicest I have seen in a long time TBH , OK so it's the same ol' , same ol' from Nokia , but TBH I was very tempted on cosmetics alone

getti
22nd December 2008, 07:02 PM
E71 is my phone of 2008. Great looking, great features and at a great price

miffed
22nd December 2008, 07:54 PM
Must admit , I loved the E61 - but seemingly one of the things I loved about it (the Joystick) was seen as a mistake , and was replaced by a D pad

Tempted to give this one another go TBH , I am a fan of metal phones, and the form factor , this is definately a good looking , well built beast (rather like myself :) )

Hands0n
22nd December 2008, 10:30 PM
I can't do it. Sorry and all that. But I cannot find anything out there that takes my fancy with the sole exception of the T-Mobile G1.

Nokia? If its all the same to you, no thanks :)

miffed
23rd December 2008, 08:43 AM
LOL , I agree to an extent - OK so the E71 looks the part , it's nice and shiny etc. There is a little voice in the back of my head saying "if you want to use S60 why don't you go to your drawer and pull out you 6600 , 6630 , N80 , E61,E90 etc , as they are all the bloody same !"
....... May just wait for something else :)