View Full Version : Review of the 3 Skypephone S2 and its bugs/problems - is it just me?!

digitaltoast
3rd January 2009, 09:59 AM
This isn't going to be a feature review as such, more of a "having had it for 3 months, these are the bugs three deny the phone has and apparently have no plans to fix". It's also to let you know "you're not alone" if you had the same bugs or experience trying to get support from 3 customer services.

It's not all bad - I think the phone itself, an Amoi 8512, is actually a well-made, robust and fast phone. Also, the built-in modem works excellently via bluetooth and the cable - I easily get a sustained 1.3Mb down and 400k up, and it works fine for downloading BBC iPlayer stuff. It also allows me to use the "£5 for 3Gb" package, rather than the "£10 for 1Gb" package with other "mobile modem" users appear to be stuck with (correct me if I'm wrong) and with a 2-pack for £99 I'm not complaining on price!

Major Bugs:
Phone rebooting - I think this is a problem with the battery voltage sensor, because I was on the verge of taking both back and giving up (3 CS had "never heard of this" before!!) when they started behaving. I assume a few cycles of battery charge had done the trick (it was rebooting even with full battery).

The thing that really irks me is gmail mobile v2 not working - all it does is give a block instead of each letter. If you can work things out, you can actually sign in, but it's pointless as all you can see are square blocks!
I've contacted Google about this, and they say the problem is with the phone not supporting a standard character set. Here's an image of the problem:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/digitaltoast/misc/gmailnotworking.jpg
I know you can work around it by using the older v1 version, but it's not very well featured and there are errors like:

java.lang.runtimeexception: Unexpected server response: 504 Gateway Timeout

which signs you out. There's also a 503 server timeout which doesn't sign you out. Also, when an application gives an error, the phone beeps even when on silent (the camera shutter also still sounds when on silent).
The annoying thing is that the gmail application is the one that is one of the selling points of the phone, and there is actually an inbuilt preset to download it. When you call three CS, all you hear is that "no-one else has reported this problem" or "please reboot the phone" or "your signal is poor" or "please send it back for reflash" - and yet, both handsets are identical and I can find over 20 other forums posts with the same problem. Just me, eh?

Other little annoyances are the lack of testing - when using the inbuilt browser, the error messages are less than helpful - take:

Received response with status code other than 200 that does not have body part However, notification is not given of redirection unless settings is to display body part when dialog is canceled.

Very user friendly - not!

When you send a message, it says "message has been sent to...", but when the other person reads it, it says "message has been sent to...", so it's difficult to know whether it has actually been received - it should, of course, be ""message has been received by...". Also, when selecting multiple items for deletion (pics, messages etc), it says "delete the marked?", which is poor English. Not a problem, just not very polished.

You can't uninstall the useless pre-installed crap that clutters up the applications menu, and you can't remove Sky Sports from the feeds list.

When in text message function, the message count takes 20 mins (to do 400 messages)

Java rendering problems - one of the first things I did was download Opera Mini which beats the pants off any other mobile browser, however they phone has a java graphics rendering problem with causes vertical stripes one pixel or so wide down the screen, so although it's readable, K for example would end up looking like
Strange phone book error - or perhaps it's just me not understanding how the phonebook works:
I have set the phone to display "contacts displayed on SIM and phone", and I have copied the phone contacts to the SIM. However, there are just a few contacts which don't show in the contacts list, either when browsing or adding to an sms. But when you try and add the contact again it says "contact exists - overwrite?" (or something) and when you get an incoming call, it displays that caller's name. BUT I can't find it in the phone book!

Back button "bug" - I've seen several posts with people complaining that the back button is broken and causes the screen to break into blocks - actually, that's the way it's meant to be - the "blocks" are preview windows of page history, and this is quite a good feature, although it caught me out at first.

Here's an annoying which has nothing to do with the phone, but Yahoo and ebay FORCE me to use crappy mobile versions based on my IP! I've tried several suggestions, but if I'm using my home PC connected by the mobile modem, it is absolutely infuriating to be forced into a mobile version of the site. But that's not the phone's fault, just something I thought I'd mention if someone had a solution!

digitaltoast
19th March 2009, 06:44 PM
Does anyone know...
Can I set my skypephone s2 as an INQ1?
How can I copy and paste?
What defines a video message?
How can I lock the keypad?
Where can I get BREW applications or games?
How can I stream realaudio streams.
Why does it always say "no data usage for this mobile"?

Hands0n
19th March 2009, 08:26 PM
I don't know anything much about the Skypephone S2 but ... there is this forum here that may help with specific questions about the technology --> http://brewforums.qualcomm.com/index.php?

I was a Skypephone (original) user, as were a few on Talk3G. But mine have fallen into disuse after some troubles with 3 that their CS refused to assist in. So one went into the waste bin and the other is in a drawer somewhere.

I presume you're getting on well with yours so far?

Ben
20th March 2009, 01:12 PM
I'm pretty clueless on this handset, too. If I were you I'd email Sandra on TR (I see you commented) - she loved the phone so much she gave it a Recommended award! http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-phones/review/2008/09/18/3-Skypephone-S2/p1

How happy would you be if you'd bought that phone based on a TR recommended award? :S